Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use touchpad gesture to look up in dictionary in every apps?

Hello, I love the feeling when you just move the censor to a word and press the touchpad with force then it will just show the meaning of it. It works in Apple apps like Pages and Notes. But in other important text editing apps like Adobe Acrobat and Microsoft Word, it seems I can't apply dictionary in these apps. Are there something I need to do to use dictionary in these apps or it simply just can't.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 17, 2023 6:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2023 6:10 AM

sunyizhou wrote:

Hello, I love the feeling when you just move the censor to a word and press the touchpad with force then it will just show the meaning of it. It works in Apple apps like Pages and Notes. But in other important text editing apps like Adobe Acrobat and Microsoft Word, it seems I can't apply dictionary in these apps. Are there something I need to do to use dictionary in these apps or it simply just can't.

The best you can do is verify your Trackpad settings

How to use the Force Touch trackpad - Apple Support

The alternative for "look up" for applications that do not respond is the keyboard short cut: Control Command D

you can submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2023 6:10 AM in response to sunyizhou

sunyizhou wrote:

The best you can do is verify your Trackpad settings

How to use the Force Touch trackpad - Apple Support

The alternative for "look up" for applications that do not respond is the keyboard short cut: Control Command D

you can submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

Mar 17, 2023 6:54 AM in response to sunyizhou

sunyizhou wrote:

But seems it doesn't work in Acrobat even I tried control+command+D

you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here:  hhttp://www.apple.com/feedback

Call Customer Support  (800) MYAPPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line  https://getsupport.apple.com/

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support 

Can I use touchpad gesture to look up in dictionary in every apps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.