Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I delete my files in my iPad after I back up?

Can i delete files or photo in my ipad after I backup?

Posted on Mar 18, 2023 6:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2023 6:10 AM

This would largely depend upon your backup settings…

If you have enabled iCloud Photos, your photos will be synchronised with iCloud - and are not included within your device backup.

If you have not enabled iCloud Photos, your photos are included in your device backup. Be aware that if you delete photos after performing your backup, the next backup will overwrite the backup - and remove the now deleted photos from your backup.

In summary, if you wish to archive your photos, you should manually copy them elsewhere before deleting them from your iPad - as this will ensure that the photos are not deleted from both the device and your backup.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2023 6:10 AM in response to Shanobee

This would largely depend upon your backup settings…

If you have enabled iCloud Photos, your photos will be synchronised with iCloud - and are not included within your device backup.

If you have not enabled iCloud Photos, your photos are included in your device backup. Be aware that if you delete photos after performing your backup, the next backup will overwrite the backup - and remove the now deleted photos from your backup.

In summary, if you wish to archive your photos, you should manually copy them elsewhere before deleting them from your iPad - as this will ensure that the photos are not deleted from both the device and your backup.

Can I delete my files in my iPad after I back up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.