Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Default browser app missing from safari in settings

New iphone14 pro. IOS totally updated. Attempting to change default browser app. Go to Settings ➡️ Safari ➡️ Default Browser App. This second option is missing ?! Sure it was there previously. It’s on my iPad & iPhone 8+ (both updated to IOS 16). Help, any ideas/solutions.

many thanks

iPhone 14 Pro

Posted on Mar 18, 2023 7:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2023 10:52 AM

Do you have the alternate browser already downloaded on your iPhone 14 Pro? If there is no other browser available, you won't see the option to change the default browser.

Also if your default browser is Chrome(or other) and you delete it, the default will switch to Safari and the setting to change it will be gone.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2023 10:52 AM in response to Barca54

Do you have the alternate browser already downloaded on your iPhone 14 Pro? If there is no other browser available, you won't see the option to change the default browser.

Also if your default browser is Chrome(or other) and you delete it, the default will switch to Safari and the setting to change it will be gone.

Mar 20, 2023 3:20 PM in response to Gena_D

Hi Gena-D

Many thanks for reply. Unfortunately, I had this info. My problem is more complex, if u refer back to step 2 above & shot of “Browser” tab - my problem is that the third line “Default Browser App” is missing. It is as previously there, as I’d reset it twice. I now wanted to reset again - isn’t there.

OK - I’ve got an appointment to visit tech support in Apple Store - hopefully they’ll find what I’ve activated to “hide” this line. 🤦‍♀️

Mar 20, 2023 2:32 PM in response to Barca54

Hello Barca54,

This is still an option and changing it is explained here: Change the default web browser or email app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support. Review this guidance:

1. "Go to Settings and scroll down until you find the browser app or the email app.
      2. Tap the app, then tap Default Browser App or Default Mail App.

iPhone showing Default Browser App

3. Select a web browser or email app to set it as the default. A checkmark appears to confirm it's the default.

If you don't see the option to set a web browser or email app as your default, the developer might not support it. Contact the app developer to learn more.

If you delete a web browser app, your device will set Safari as the default browser app. If you delete the Safari app, your device will set one of your other web browser apps as the default. To use the Safari app again, you'll need to reinstall it on your device.

If you delete an email app, your device will set the Mail app as the default. If you delete the Mail app, your device will set one of your other email apps as the default. To use the Mail app again, you'll need to re-install it on your device."

We hope this helps. Let us know if we can assist with anything else at all. Take care.

Mar 21, 2023 4:32 PM in response to Mac Jim ID

Hi Mac Jim ID

Yes I have 2 alternate browsers: Edge - Bing search engine, & DuckDuckGo.

These have been there all along - since transferring from 8plus to 14pro. Neither been deleted, simply switched between them.

Am I understanding correctly - that having switched from DuckDuckGo, back to Safari this has caused “ the setting to change it will be gone”?

Even where I haven’t deleted the other browser options?

Apologies if I’ve misunderstood.

Default browser app missing from safari in settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.