Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Location" line missing from Information Pane in Photos

After importing some of the photos I've taken with my Camera (not my iPhone) into Photos on my MB, the "Location" line is missing from the Information Pane.

My Camera HAS GPS built-in, so it's usually the case that the Location is imported. Sometimes the Location isn't captured (that is, there's no GPS data captured; perhaps because I'm indoors). When that happens I can add it manually later. But sometime the Location line is missing from the Information Pane, as above, and there's no readily apparent way to manually add the Location to the photo. This is a problem because Photos then fails to properly sort the photos by date, so that the photos taken by my iPhone are sorted to the correct date, but the photos without GPS information taken by my camera are sorted out of order, often with photos from a different time or place. If this happened before updating to Ventura I didn't notice it.

Is there any way to add the Location section back to the Information Pane in Photos?

MacBook Air (M1)/Ventura (13.2.1)

MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

Posted on Mar 18, 2023 3:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2023 3:51 PM

Art Vandelay100 wrote:

After importing some of the photos I've taken with my Camera (not my iPhone) into Photos on my MB, the "Location" line is missing from the Information Pane.
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/641e5b46-5157-481b-8d9b-6839d0998794

My Camera HAS GPS built-in, so it's usually the case that the Location is imported. Sometimes the Location isn't captured (that is, there's no GPS data captured; perhaps because I'm indoors). When that happens I can add it manually later. But sometime the Location line is missing from the Information Pane, as above, and there's no readily apparent way to manually add the Location to the photo. This is a problem because Photos then fails to properly sort the photos by date, so that the photos taken by my iPhone are sorted to the correct date, but the photos without GPS information taken by my camera are sorted out of order, often with photos from a different time or place. If this happened before updating to Ventura I didn't notice it.

Is there any way to add the Location section back to the Information Pane in Photos?

It would be informative to drop the image in another Photo application and compare your results....

It seems this would be telling.

Information look for

-- Exif --

-- GPS IFD --

If the image has GPS information you would fully expect it to be presented in the info pane.

re: Photo.app Add titles, captions, and more to photos using Photos on Mac

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2023 3:51 PM in response to Art Vandelay100

Art Vandelay100 wrote:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/641e5b46-5157-481b-8d9b-6839d0998794

It would be informative to drop the image in another Photo application and compare your results....

It seems this would be telling.

Information look for

-- Exif --

-- GPS IFD --

If the image has GPS information you would fully expect it to be presented in the info pane.

re: Photo.app Add titles, captions, and more to photos using Photos on Mac

Mar 19, 2023 4:22 PM in response to Art Vandelay100

Art Vandelay100 wrote:

Thanks for your help!

I used EXIF Metadata and the location IS there. It still wasn't showing under Apple Photos, though. So, even tho I had just rebooted my Mac yesterday (after installing some updates) I rebooted again today, and then brought the same picture up and, sure enough, the Location section was back, and the location data was there. That the EXIF data was there all along, is odd enough. I really don't understand why the entire Location section was missing from the Information pane, when that section shows up on the very next photo, taken by my iPhone.

Quitting the application / rebooting is always a good first attempt(s) to sort issues...

you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here:  http://www.apple.com/feedback 

Mar 19, 2023 4:18 PM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks for your help!

I used EXIF Metadata and the location IS there. It still wasn't showing under Apple Photos, though. So, even tho I had just rebooted my Mac yesterday (after installing some updates) I rebooted again today, and then brought the same picture up and, sure enough, the Location section was back, and the location data was there. That the EXIF data was there all along, is odd enough. I really don't understand why the entire Location section was missing from the Information pane, when that section shows up on the very next photo, taken by my iPhone.

"Location" line missing from Information Pane in Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.