Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why will my MacBook Air never charge to 100%?

What setting for the battery do you need to do to get my MacBook Air to fully charge when I plug it in? It always goes to 80% and stops. Never will fully charge. Frustrating

MacBook Air, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 18, 2023 5:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2023 6:04 PM

Please refer to If your Mac battery won’t charge completely for an explanation of "Optimized Battery Charging."

Optimized Battery ChargingIf Optimized Battery Charging is enabled in Battery settings, the battery on your Mac laptop may delay charging past 80% in certain situations, even after the power adapter has been connected for an extended period of time. This behavior is normal and helps optimize the overall life of the battery. If you need to have your Mac fully charged sooner, click the battery icon in the menu bar, then click Charge to Full Now.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2023 6:04 PM in response to Super91

Please refer to If your Mac battery won’t charge completely for an explanation of "Optimized Battery Charging."

Optimized Battery ChargingIf Optimized Battery Charging is enabled in Battery settings, the battery on your Mac laptop may delay charging past 80% in certain situations, even after the power adapter has been connected for an extended period of time. This behavior is normal and helps optimize the overall life of the battery. If you need to have your Mac fully charged sooner, click the battery icon in the menu bar, then click Charge to Full Now.

Mar 18, 2023 6:33 PM in response to Super91

Further information is provided in About battery health management in Mac laptops, it depends upon your usage pattern. "Based on the measurements that it collects, battery health management may reduce your battery's maximum charge when in this mode. This happens as needed to ensure that your battery charges to a level that's optimized for your usage—reducing wear on the battery, and slowing its chemical aging." 

Why will my MacBook Air never charge to 100%?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.