Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magsafe 3 charging issues

I have had my M1 Pro MacBook Pro (14 Inch) for over a year, and I've notice intermittent charging issues with it.

I have the 96W fast charger. When using the Magsafe cable I noticed that it sometimes refuses to start charging, until I disconnect the Magsafe (MacBook side) end and reconnect it. I've noticed that it could be due to the fact that I remove the USB-C (Charger side) end when not charging, and reconnect both ends before charging. Usually if I connect the Magsafe side before the USB-C end the light flashes and the computer doesn't start charging. I then started connecting the USB-C end before the Magsafe end, and I noticed if I don't wait at least 10 seconds before connecting the Magsafe end the computer refuses to start charging. I recreated the issue with a new Magsafe cable (which came with my partner's M2 Air), so it's definitely not the cable. Should I take the computer to get it checked out? Or is this normal behavior.

MacBook Pro (2021)

Posted on Mar 19, 2023 2:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2023 11:09 AM

adnanjafferjee wrote:

I have had my M1 Pro MacBook Pro (14 Inch) for over a year, and I've notice intermittent charging issues with it.

I have the 96W fast charger. When using the Magsafe cable I noticed that it sometimes refuses to start charging, until I disconnect the Magsafe (MacBook side) end and reconnect it. I've noticed that it could be due to the fact that I remove the USB-C (Charger side) end when not charging, and reconnect both ends before charging. Usually if I connect the Magsafe side before the USB-C end the light flashes and the computer doesn't start charging. I then started connecting the USB-C end before the Magsafe end, and I noticed if I don't wait at least 10 seconds before connecting the Magsafe end the computer refuses to start charging. I recreated the issue with a new Magsafe cable (which came with my partner's M2 Air), so it's definitely not the cable. Should I take the computer to get it checked out? Or is this normal behavior.

You hardly explain not charging at what battery %....(?)

BHM (Battery Health Management) can put on hold battery charging— Yes

w/ Apple Silicon

About battery health management in Mac notebooks - Apple Support

Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

Charge your 14-inch or 16-inch MacBook Pro

Charge your MacBook Air or MacBook Pro - Apple Support

BHM was introduced back in macOS 10.15.5 Catalina including the Intel T2 chip Macs; so by no means is this new.

The rule of thumb has always been—

if you are near the mains leave it plugged in, if you need the portability then run on battery only.

This is how you prolong the working life of your battery.

You still have an expected 1000 cycle count—Determine battery cycle count for Mac laptops - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2023 11:09 AM in response to adnanjafferjee

adnanjafferjee wrote:

You hardly explain not charging at what battery %....(?)

BHM (Battery Health Management) can put on hold battery charging— Yes

w/ Apple Silicon

About battery health management in Mac notebooks - Apple Support

Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

Charge your 14-inch or 16-inch MacBook Pro

Charge your MacBook Air or MacBook Pro - Apple Support

BHM was introduced back in macOS 10.15.5 Catalina including the Intel T2 chip Macs; so by no means is this new.

The rule of thumb has always been—

if you are near the mains leave it plugged in, if you need the portability then run on battery only.

This is how you prolong the working life of your battery.

You still have an expected 1000 cycle count—Determine battery cycle count for Mac laptops - Apple Support

Magsafe 3 charging issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.