Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find my iphone off while using the ipad.

Hi, so if my ipad and iphone are connected to the same apple id will it affect my location on find my iPhone ? Because when my daughter uses the ipad at home and i go out while shes watching a movie my location turns off a few minutes later and it doesnt turn back on until i get home. Is there a setting to help with this or why is this happening ?

Posted on Mar 19, 2023 4:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2023 5:46 AM

You will have to assign which device will be used to set the location.

Share my Location is for the Device.

The family organizer sets up location sharing in Family Sharing settings. After location sharing is turned on, the organizer's location is automatically shared with everyone in the family group. Then each family member can choose whether or not to share their location. When you agree to share, your family members see your location in Find My Friends and Messages. And you can see where they're located too.

Plus, with location sharing enabled, if your device is lost or stolen, you can ask a family member to use Find My iPhone to help you locate it and get it back.

Share your location with your family - Apple Support

Share your location with your family - Apple Support (IN)

Locational Services is for the Apps

1. Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services.
  2. Make sure that Location Services is on.
  3. Scroll down to find the app.
  4. Tap the app and select an option:
    • Never: Prevents access to Location Services information.
    • While Using the App: Allows access to Location Services only when the app or one of its features is visible on screen. If an app is set to While Using the App, you might see your status bar turn blue with a message that an app is actively using your location.

Always: Allows access to your location even when the app is in the background.

Turn Location Services and GPS on or off on your iPhone, iPad, or ...

Turn Location Services and GPS on or off on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support (IN)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2023 5:46 AM in response to Clari12

You will have to assign which device will be used to set the location.

Share my Location is for the Device.

The family organizer sets up location sharing in Family Sharing settings. After location sharing is turned on, the organizer's location is automatically shared with everyone in the family group. Then each family member can choose whether or not to share their location. When you agree to share, your family members see your location in Find My Friends and Messages. And you can see where they're located too.

Plus, with location sharing enabled, if your device is lost or stolen, you can ask a family member to use Find My iPhone to help you locate it and get it back.

Share your location with your family - Apple Support

Share your location with your family - Apple Support (IN)

Locational Services is for the Apps

1. Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services.
  2. Make sure that Location Services is on.
  3. Scroll down to find the app.
  4. Tap the app and select an option:
    • Never: Prevents access to Location Services information.
    • While Using the App: Allows access to Location Services only when the app or one of its features is visible on screen. If an app is set to While Using the App, you might see your status bar turn blue with a message that an app is actively using your location.

Always: Allows access to your location even when the app is in the background.

Turn Location Services and GPS on or off on your iPhone, iPad, or ...

Turn Location Services and GPS on or off on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support (IN)

Find my iphone off while using the ipad.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.