Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 24 keyboard & mouse problems

iMac 24 OS 13.2.1

Purchased Dec. 30, 2022

The mouse and keyboard are suddenly not working. The keyboard will not add spaces between words. The mouse pointer either will not move (or moves very slowly) or doesn’t appear at all. I recently charged the mouse when instructed. I have tried both restarting shutting the computer down. I also ran the disk utility repair disk. No problems were noted.

How do I solve this?

iMac (M1, 2021)

Posted on Mar 19, 2023 7:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2023 9:25 PM

Shelley Schreiber wrote:

iMac 24 OS 13.2.1
Purchased Dec. 30, 2022

T The keyboard will not add spaces between words.

Go to your Accessibility settings and make sure Full Keyboard Access is turned OFF.

9 replies

Mar 20, 2023 10:43 AM in response to Shelley Schreiber

So I was able to call Apple Care to discuss the problems I noted in my first message. They made an appointment for me to visit my local Apple Store and bring the iMac, power cord, mouse and keyboard so they can investigate what is going on.

Thanks so much Tom for responding to my messages. I’ll post the results of my visit. 😀

Mar 22, 2023 1:54 PM in response to Shelley Schreiber

Took my iMac in for Apple Care help. Results:

1. Mouse Problem:

Slow, erratic & misguided movement was caused by accumulation of dirt/dust on the mouse underside tracks due to usage. Cleaning these tracks solved that problem.

2.The mouse disappearing and keyboard function problems were the result of an accessibility setting relating to using keyboard to perform specific functions. Turned off that accessibility and the keyboard works fine now and mouse doesn’t disappear.

So Tom’s initial suggestion was correct. I wasn’t able to follow it through because the setting overrode the mouse, making it disappear. And my slow, erratic mouse prevented me from selecting the accessibility functions to turn it off in the first place.

Lessons learned. Will check to make sure there’s no grime on the mouse tracks. Will pay more attention to what functions get enabled for accessibility. 😊

iMac 24 keyboard & mouse problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.