Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to force download of all iCloud files in my Mac?

Do you know some way of forcing the OS to download all the iCloud files? I want to download all my files in order to be able to backing them up, but I've been trying it for three days and there are a lot of folders that are not downloaded. I click with the second button the action "Download now" in each folder, but nothings appear to happen.

In System Preferences/iCloud/iCloud Drive/Options, I have Optimization tuned off.

iMac, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 20, 2023 12:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2023 1:13 AM

Many thanks for the answer.

One more thing that I've noticed after a couple of days with the problem is that the main issue in my case is the type of hard drive. I've downloaded without any problem all my iCloud files (tens of thousands) in my laptop with a SSD. The problem is with my other computer, an iMac with a hard drive. It is not a problem of space, but I think is a problem with the speed of the hard drive. It fails (or takes too much time) when it has to deal with the synchronisation of tens of thousands of files between iCloud and the local drive.

In any case, thanks a lot for the answer.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2023 1:13 AM in response to TammyW_03

Many thanks for the answer.

One more thing that I've noticed after a couple of days with the problem is that the main issue in my case is the type of hard drive. I've downloaded without any problem all my iCloud files (tens of thousands) in my laptop with a SSD. The problem is with my other computer, an iMac with a hard drive. It is not a problem of space, but I think is a problem with the speed of the hard drive. It fails (or takes too much time) when it has to deal with the synchronisation of tens of thousands of files between iCloud and the local drive.

In any case, thanks a lot for the answer.

Mar 21, 2023 2:28 PM in response to Domingo Gallardo

Hey Domingo Gallardo,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. The amount of time it takes to download those files can depend on many factors, largely your network speeds and the size of the files. Be sure you're using a strong network connection, and move closer to the router if using Wi-Fi to help minimize interference and have a stronger connection. Here are more tips to help with possible interference: Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support

In addition to the above, make sure you have enough storage on your Mac as that can cause issues with downloading files too. Here's a great guide on Mac storage and managing it: Free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

With having multiple files and folders to download, try only one file to see if it downloads as expected. If that works, try with one entire folder. Here's a resource with those steps and more great tips: Access and manage your files in iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Work with iCloud Drive files offline

If you're about to go offline, you can download iCloud Drive files locally to work on while you're not connected to the internet.

On your Mac

1. Click iCloud Drive in the sidebar of any Finder window. 
2. Open the file, or control-click the file, then select Download Now. 
3. Any changes you make to the file will automatically upload to iCloud Drive when you're back online. 

Let us know how it goes.

Take care!

How to force download of all iCloud files in my Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.