Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch “Get Connected” Issue

Recently bought a refurbished Series 3 GPS Apple Watch and once I leave the house and I am no longer connected to Wi-Fi, my Watch app keeps giving me the “Get Connected” pop up. My Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are on, but every time I click “Turn on” on the pop up, it does nothing. I have updated both iOS devices to the latest firmware, and have reset them both and still have issues.

would anyone be able to shed some light on this issue? Thanks and regards!

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 8

Posted on Mar 20, 2023 2:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2023 9:29 AM

No problem, I'm retired!

Check the bluetooth settings on iPhone, to see if Watch is shown as connected, both in the home and outside the home.

It may help in the analysis.

If all settings normal but behaviour is irrational there is a progressive hierarchy of  remedies. Hopefully you will not need to go to the end of the list.

First force restart the Watch 

i.e. press and hold both the side button and Digital Crown for at least 10 seconds, then release both buttons when you see the Apple logo. 

Then, although it may seem irrelevant, while it is restarting Force Restart the paired iphone   Force restart iPhone – Apple Support (UK) 

Test it for a while. If it is still misbehaving... Unpair and set up again

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch – Apple Support (UK) 

Series 1 to 3 are difficult to pair with iOS16 because of relatively low storage so when pairing do not try to restore the backup, pair as a New Watch

Set up your Apple Watch – Apple Support (UK) 

Make sure you are not using VPN or security apps on the iPhone.

If you've completed that troubleshooting and the issue is still not resolved, Contact Support. 

Click here > Contact - Official Apple Support

or phone numbers  

Click here > Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

and or Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2023 9:29 AM in response to NickHHll

No problem, I'm retired!

Check the bluetooth settings on iPhone, to see if Watch is shown as connected, both in the home and outside the home.

It may help in the analysis.

If all settings normal but behaviour is irrational there is a progressive hierarchy of  remedies. Hopefully you will not need to go to the end of the list.

First force restart the Watch 

i.e. press and hold both the side button and Digital Crown for at least 10 seconds, then release both buttons when you see the Apple logo. 

Then, although it may seem irrelevant, while it is restarting Force Restart the paired iphone   Force restart iPhone – Apple Support (UK) 

Test it for a while. If it is still misbehaving... Unpair and set up again

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch – Apple Support (UK) 

Series 1 to 3 are difficult to pair with iOS16 because of relatively low storage so when pairing do not try to restore the backup, pair as a New Watch

Set up your Apple Watch – Apple Support (UK) 

Make sure you are not using VPN or security apps on the iPhone.

If you've completed that troubleshooting and the issue is still not resolved, Contact Support. 

Click here > Contact - Official Apple Support

or phone numbers  

Click here > Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

and or Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Mar 20, 2023 5:31 AM in response to LD150

The watch is only a GPS device, but although it is connected via Bluetooth (I can answer calls, connect to Spotify etc.) it still demands that both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth be turned on, which they both are.

I’ve seen on other posts about this issue but nobody seemed to have a definitive answer, although the last post I could find was over a year ago I thought maybe a solution had been established!

thank you for your response LD150.

Mar 20, 2023 11:57 PM in response to LD150

Thanks for the reply!

The watch does show as connected to Bluetooth, and I can answer calls and receive notifications etc when connected via Bluetooth (ie at work). Everything does seem to be working correctly, yet the app still shows me the “Get Connected” pop up.

i re-paired the watch last night before seeing this post and set it up using a back up, so I’ll try to set it up as a new watch later tonight and let you know the results

Apple Watch “Get Connected” Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.