Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Photos Library no longer synching to iMac but to everything else

All photos and videos in the Photos Library in iCloud are synching to my iPhone, iPad, Macbook Pro, and Air but not to my iMac (since last week). The photo count is 11,044 on the iMac, about 1,200 less than on the other devices and "Updating..." is displayed under the photo count numbers. There are also about 400 videos in the library, which is just under 100 GB in size.

It appears that some process is looping in the iMac Photo app - what can be done to refresh/reboot/reinstall it without affecting the content of the iCloud library? The iMac (late 2014) is running Big Sur 11.7.4 as are the Macbooks (mid 2013).

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Mar 20, 2023 3:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2023 7:30 PM

Hi tandlj,

Another step you can try is testing in safe mode. Follow the guide at How to use safe mode on your Mac for the steps to complete that test as well as subsequent recommendations based on the results.

If none of the actions suggested or that you mentioned have helped, reach out to Apple Support to investigate further.

Regards.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2023 7:30 PM in response to tandlj

Hi tandlj,

Another step you can try is testing in safe mode. Follow the guide at How to use safe mode on your Mac for the steps to complete that test as well as subsequent recommendations based on the results.

If none of the actions suggested or that you mentioned have helped, reach out to Apple Support to investigate further.

Regards.

Mar 21, 2023 2:50 PM in response to tandlj

Hello tandlj,

If you haven't yet, we'd recommend to quit the Photos app (which will pause the upload to iCloud), then to restart your iMac to refresh it and test it further.

You can use these steps to close the Photos app:

1. Go to the Photos app
  2. Go to the Photos menu
  3. Select Quit Photos.

After this, go to the Apple menu > Restart to reboot normally.

Should the issue persist, are you using any VPNs or security software on this Mac? As these are known to cause connection issues: Check VPN (Virtual Private Network) and third-party software to help resolve network connectivity issues - Apple Support

Hoping to hear how it goes.

Take care.

Mar 21, 2023 4:59 PM in response to destiny241

Thank you very much, Destiny241.

I should have mentioned that I have done all those things you suggest before posting here. In fact, I also did a PRAM and SMC reset and kept Photos running (and the iMac from sleeping) for more than 24 hrs.

Something I read elsewhere seemed to suggest that there were two separate iCloud repositories, one for my personal photo library and one for shared photo albums. To test this, I added, on my iPad, a photo from my personal library to a shared album (created by someone else) and then checked the Shared Album on the iMac - the new photo had been added and was displayed. I wonder if this tells me that it isn't the iCloud synching but the Photo app on the iMac that's playing up,perhaps even only my personal Photolibrary?

There appear, to my mind, the options of deleting and reinstalling the Photo app, or to do the same with just the Photolibrary file - would either of those be safe with regard to keeping all my pictures in the iCloud repository for them?

Thank you in advance for your asistance!

Mar 23, 2023 8:52 PM in response to Bill_T1

Thank you, Bill_T1.

Safe mode didn't make a difference but on the Apple Support pages, I found out about an Apple Photo Repair Tool, which I ran and which appears to have fixed the issue. All photos and videos are synched and displayed on the iMac exactly as on all the other devices linked to my iCloud.

Very grateful for this outcome and your and destiny241 assistance! Thank you, Joseph

iCloud Photos Library no longer synching to iMac but to everything else

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.