Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

recovery key

I forgot my password and I don't remember setting up a recovery key. help. what are my options? MacBookPro Monterey

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Mar 20, 2023 4:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2023 8:47 AM

A Recovery Key is not automatically generated. If you had created one you would have known about it.

Just to confirm... no Time Machine backup? As you probably figured out by now, Apple's approach to security borders on the maniacal. If you cannot get into your Mac its data is locked away for sure.

A 16 inch MacBook Pro uses hardware encryption which obviates even the need for FileVault's already impenetrable security, so there is no extracting its data, not without its password: Use FileVault to encrypt your Mac startup disk - Apple Support and Encrypt Mac data with FileVault - Apple Support explains how it works. Apple never emphasizes things like WARNING in bold text unless they really mean it. To reemphasize the point, your MBP performs that data encryption in hardware. It cannot be disabled or circumvented so don't offer to pay anyone to try.

I agree the situation such as yours can't be that uncommon and it's unfathomable for it to be hopeless. Give it a rest for 24 hours.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2023 8:47 AM in response to sylvia154

A Recovery Key is not automatically generated. If you had created one you would have known about it.

Just to confirm... no Time Machine backup? As you probably figured out by now, Apple's approach to security borders on the maniacal. If you cannot get into your Mac its data is locked away for sure.

A 16 inch MacBook Pro uses hardware encryption which obviates even the need for FileVault's already impenetrable security, so there is no extracting its data, not without its password: Use FileVault to encrypt your Mac startup disk - Apple Support and Encrypt Mac data with FileVault - Apple Support explains how it works. Apple never emphasizes things like WARNING in bold text unless they really mean it. To reemphasize the point, your MBP performs that data encryption in hardware. It cannot be disabled or circumvented so don't offer to pay anyone to try.

I agree the situation such as yours can't be that uncommon and it's unfathomable for it to be hopeless. Give it a rest for 24 hours.

Mar 20, 2023 6:21 AM in response to sylvia154

I understand. If it is your Apple ID that has become locked, the following may be applicable: If you see an 'Unable to sign you in to your Apple ID' message - Apple Support. A locked Apple ID will cause all sorts of problems, but it might be best to wait at least 24 hours before doing anything drastic like erasing the Mac.

Do you have a Time Machine backup? Having one would mitigate the inconvenience: Back up your files with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support

Mar 20, 2023 6:04 AM in response to sylvia154

You may not have created a Recovery Key, but it might ask for one anyway. Continue with the rest of those Apple Support documents, exhausting each one of its steps, in the sequence provided, including any links they may contain, all the way through to and including the end of each step, all the way to the end, where it states:

"If you still need help, please contact Apple Support."

Mar 20, 2023 6:10 AM in response to sylvia154

I think it is because my Account is Locked. I spent 2 hours with Apple Support and got all the way to the Terminal password reset but at the end of the day, it asked us for a "Recovery Key". The reason my account is locked is because I tried so many Passwords not knowing my laptop keyboard was sticking. Now, I really do not know what my password is...

Mar 20, 2023 8:10 AM in response to John Galt

thank you. I just don't understand how I cannot get back into my laptop having an Apple ID. You'd think there would be some way. We do not recall setting up a Recovery Key and we wouldn't have to do it. If it was automatically created, I don't understand why there is no solution. It just doesn't seem right. I've spent 2 hours with an apple support tech and we were unable to get it. with so much tech, so hard to believe. bottom line, and what I think happened, I locked myself out of my Mac Pro laptop by using a password (I think created with a bad keyboard so I don't know what it is) and I do not have a Recovery Key. If anyone reads this and can help me, I will pay for a solution and my data. it's very important to me. right now, I am having to buy another laptop. I'm keeping my "locked" one in hopes that one day I can recover my data. thank you!

recovery key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.