Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to install Osx Lion to a new SSD via bootable usb method, macbook in question is macbook 2007. Original harddrive from macbook 2007 has died with click of death sound. Final error is "Restore process has failed"

Hello. I have a macbook 2007 which I am sure the harddrive has died as it has made the click of death sound. I have bought a new ssd to replace it but then I learned the hard way that internet recovery doesn't seem to work on the macbook as it is that old. I sought to try to do the bootable usb method so I download macosx lion from Mac OS X Lion Installer (UK) and then sought to erase a drive with the format Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Unfortunately after trying to restore from the installmacosx.dmg image I was met with the "Restore process has failed." Any ideas?

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Mar 20, 2023 5:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2023 5:53 PM

That mid-2012 MacBook Air should be capable of doing the job.

If you are using Disk Utility to "Restore from an image" to create an installer, I can tell you that's almost always guaranteed to fail. DU doesn't do a great job with that.

Please have a look at this Communities How-To document for very much good info regarding installing the Lion OS:

How to install Mac OS X Lion 10.7 - Apple Community

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2023 5:53 PM in response to Windsns

That mid-2012 MacBook Air should be capable of doing the job.

If you are using Disk Utility to "Restore from an image" to create an installer, I can tell you that's almost always guaranteed to fail. DU doesn't do a great job with that.

Please have a look at this Communities How-To document for very much good info regarding installing the Lion OS:

How to install Mac OS X Lion 10.7 - Apple Community

Mar 22, 2023 2:43 PM in response to Windsns

It does appear to be the correct battery. I'm not familiar with the retailer so of course cannot vouch for their accuracy of description.

I spotted this Apple battery on the website: 10.8V Original A1185 Battery Laptop For Apple Macbook Pro 13 A1181 MA561 MA566 MA566J/A MA566FE/A MA255 Notebooks so maybe this is an option for you.

Otherwise, it's merely a cosmetic/aesthetic difference... black v white. I'd expect it to be identical when it comes to function.

Also, don't forget, that laptop is sixteen (!) years old. Ask yourself if you really want to spend money on an obsolete computer.

Trying to install Osx Lion to a new SSD via bootable usb method, macbook in question is macbook 2007. Original harddrive from macbook 2007 has died with click of death sound. Final error is "Restore process has failed"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.