Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

app screens suddenly go away?

Macbook pro M1 wiht latest upagrades. The screen with application images (Safari, Word, Excel, etc) will disappear with no key board or touchPad input exposing the desktop icons about every 5 minutes. I have been unable to find any system setting that would cause this action. Any suggestion on how to stop this annoying issue?

Posted on Mar 20, 2023 8:34 AM

4 replies

Mar 20, 2023 8:41 AM in response to Dan Martin1

What screen with application images?

Do you mean the Launchpad?

That is only opened while you search for an App, once you click on an app to open it, then it will close it, and open said app.

Or do you mean the dock? The row of application icons at the bottom? If it goes away, then you may have it set to hide automatically.

Open System Preferences / Settings ➜ Desktop & Dock, and make sure the "Automatically Hide and Show the Dock" option is not turned on.

click here ➜ Change Desktop & Dock settings on Mac - Apple Support

If you mean something else, please explain exactly what you are referring to. where on your screen this is located in exactly.

Mar 20, 2023 10:30 AM in response to Phil0124

Thank for the response. The "Automatically Hide and Show the Dock" is not selected. I can be working on an Excel file, viewing Safari or other app and suddenly the app screen disappears completely and I am looking at the desktop with icons of files and folders. If I click the application icon on the dock, the window with the application file I was viewing returns, but the application window on the screen will disappear again in a few minutes without any action on my part.

Mar 20, 2023 12:58 PM in response to Dan Martin1

Do they go away entirely, or do you see the edge of the windows on the sides of the screen?

You may have A Hot Corner enabled, and moving the mouse there would trigger the apps to open up and show the home screen.

In the Desktop and Dock settings screen, scroll all the way to the bottom and click on Hot Corners. You may have a corner set to Desktop. Un set it by selecting the - (dash) from the dropdown there.

app screens suddenly go away?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.