Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari can’t open the page: Outlook.com, Live.com or Hotmail.com

I’ve experienced the problem of Safari intermittently not being able to open the Microsoft email websites: Outlook.com, Live.com or Hotmail.com since about 2020. I get an empty page with something like: Safari can’t open the page. The error is: “Response served by service worker is an error” (Webkitintenal:0). When this happens my Chrome and Firefox browsers can always open the Outlook sites as normal, and Safari can still open other websites with no issue.

This happens every week or so, and enough to be a pain. It happens on newer versions of Safari (e.g. currently using v16.3) on a new MacBook M2 Pro and prior versions on an older Mac. I don’t use a VPN nor use extensions.

Emptying Safari caches and removing the Outlook cookies via: Safari > Settings > Privacy > Manage Website Data > then remove live.com cookies usually fixes the problem.

Judging from browsing this forum and Microsoft support websites this is a common issue with the Safari browser and Outlook-related webpages. 

Does anyone have a cure for this issue, or know is when is Apple going to fix the issue so Safari is as dependable on these websites as Chrome and Firefox are?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 20, 2023 11:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2023 11:40 AM

Thanks, OrigamiFan1

I don’t subscribe to iCloud+ and I’ve never heard of a Private Relay feature.

I have beat this issue to death with Apple Support. Their solution is always empty Safari caches and remove the Outlook cookies. What bothers me is that I must do this at all, i.e. why is it the Firefox and Chrome browsers can consistently open the Outlook.com pages when Apple’s Safari cannot - even on their own computers? 

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2023 11:40 AM in response to OrigamiFan1

Thanks, OrigamiFan1

I don’t subscribe to iCloud+ and I’ve never heard of a Private Relay feature.

I have beat this issue to death with Apple Support. Their solution is always empty Safari caches and remove the Outlook cookies. What bothers me is that I must do this at all, i.e. why is it the Firefox and Chrome browsers can consistently open the Outlook.com pages when Apple’s Safari cannot - even on their own computers? 

Mar 21, 2023 5:26 PM in response to agd21

Hi agd21,

You've completed some great troubleshooting on your own thus far. As the issue only occurs with third-party webmail sites, if you subscribe to iCloud+ check your Private Relay settings. The information below can be found in the article here: If Safari doesn't open a page or work as expected on your Mac

"Check iCloud Private Relay

If you subscribe to iCloud+ and are using its Private Relay feature, try reloading the page without Private Relay: From the menu bar in Safari, choose View > Reload and Show IP Address. This menu item appears only when Private Relay is turned on for your network."

You can also view more about the feature here: About iCloud Private Relay

However, if you don't subscribe to iCloud+ and the feature isn't enabled reach out to Apple Support directly to report it and further assist.

Contact Apple Support

Contact Apple for Support and Service

Best.

Mar 24, 2023 2:55 PM in response to agd21

I have exactly the same issue and frustration (I've posted on this as well). This doesn't seem to get too much attention from Apple. However, if we all made sure our post titles with "Safari can't open page" (which seems to be the common error message), maybe it will be clear that we all have some version of the same problem. For me, I don't use Outlook and so have no idea why some pages load and others don't. But like you, the pages always load in Chrome.

Safari can’t open the page: Outlook.com, Live.com or Hotmail.com

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.