Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone purchased in Europe, now locked in United States

I purchased a new iPhone 13 mini from an Apple Store in Spain after mine was pick-pocketed on vacation. I used a Vodafone temporary SIM card for the duration of my trip before returning home to the United States. Now that I am home, my carrier is saying that my iPhone is locked and their eSIM is not compatible with it until I get my iPhone unlocked. Is this true? And if so, how do I unlock it? Should I just go to my nearest Apple Store?

iPhone 13 mini, iOS 16

Posted on Mar 21, 2023 10:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2023 10:46 AM

Unfortunately, your newly-purchased phone was apparently locked by the Spanish carrier’s network.

ONLY that carrier can unlock it to operate on other networks; although there’s not necessarily anything compelling them to do so.

This is NOT just a “European thing” … U.S. carriers follow the same practice.

Apple can’t override this feature.

See more detail here:

How to unlock your iPhone for use with a different carrier - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2023 10:46 AM in response to Kenn-Bone

Unfortunately, your newly-purchased phone was apparently locked by the Spanish carrier’s network.

ONLY that carrier can unlock it to operate on other networks; although there’s not necessarily anything compelling them to do so.

This is NOT just a “European thing” … U.S. carriers follow the same practice.

Apple can’t override this feature.

See more detail here:

How to unlock your iPhone for use with a different carrier - Apple Support

iPhone purchased in Europe, now locked in United States

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.