Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari slowdowns / websites breaking.

Ever since owning an Apple Silicon based apple computer, I have experienced major issues with Safari in common websites such as Facebook, Gmail, and Youtube. This has been happening since the initial release of the M1 models onto the current models today and latest 13.2.1 OS.

If I keep the same browser session running for a few days, responsiveness begins to diminish with slower page load/render times, some elements on websites fail to load or break. Facebook interface when navigating their Marketplace items or simply loading images into full screen and trying to close them will cause page elements to scramble and functions to fail working and I have to force a refresh to regain normal functionality. These same issues happen on other websites as well. Gmail interface consistently breaks down, chat window boxes fail to refresh/scroll properly, or just go blank. Gmail chat notifications fail to alert/notify. Refreshing the page only fixes this temporarily. Youtube.com browsing breaks itself often with the inability to "back" a page returning to search results from a video playback page. Only fix is closing the tab entirely and re-searching for the same search term again. I seem to have issues with many websites in safari ever since the apple silicon releases.

Quitting safari and restarting it seems to help a little bit but a reboot is the only true "fix" to get safari but the issues return after a few days again and requires another reboot. This is happening on our macbook airs, pros, and mac studio models that have more power and ram.

Not using Safari and using Firefox, Brave, or Chrome resolves all of these same issues. Do those other browsers also slow down after a few days? Yes, simply restarting those browsers fixes slowdowns but those same websites do not "break" in other browsers.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 21, 2023 6:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2023 4:37 AM

I am unable to find a question in your post. If it was your intent to report challenges while using Safari this isn't the right place to express that concern. Contact Apple, here: Contact - Official Apple Support

What you describe is not normal. Since you are having trouble using Safari the following Apple Support document is relevant: If Safari doesn't open a page or work as expected on your Mac - Apple Support.

Do those other browsers also slow down after a few days? Yes, simply restarting those browsers fixes slowdowns ...

That's not normal either. Neither Brave nor Firefox have exhibited those problems on any of my Macs. They run for weeks or months on end with no need to ever quit them or to restart any Macs. Your description suggests another underlying problem with your Mac. Contact Apple.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2023 4:37 AM in response to stevey500

I am unable to find a question in your post. If it was your intent to report challenges while using Safari this isn't the right place to express that concern. Contact Apple, here: Contact - Official Apple Support

What you describe is not normal. Since you are having trouble using Safari the following Apple Support document is relevant: If Safari doesn't open a page or work as expected on your Mac - Apple Support.

Do those other browsers also slow down after a few days? Yes, simply restarting those browsers fixes slowdowns ...

That's not normal either. Neither Brave nor Firefox have exhibited those problems on any of my Macs. They run for weeks or months on end with no need to ever quit them or to restart any Macs. Your description suggests another underlying problem with your Mac. Contact Apple.

Safari slowdowns / websites breaking.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.