Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt port late 2013 Imac

My IMac is late 2013 21.5 inch. I’m trying to connect it via Thunderbolt to brand new mini mac. What is the specific Thunderbolt model/name whatever on the IMAC? I clearly need an adapter, which Apple didn’t tell me about when I bought the mini Mac; after a long chat with Apple they configured my adapter, only it’s not correct (Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2) It doesn’t fit into the IMac nor does the mini mac cable fit into the adapter. HELP!!!! Thank you so very much.

iMac 21.5″, 10.15

Posted on Mar 22, 2023 6:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2023 11:24 AM

Before you ship that mini back, consider that it really is a great Mac, and it will connect to just about any monitor (or TV even) that has an HDMI input. Apple is not especially proprietary regarding monitors these days, and you have options to connect to one. LG, Acer, Dell, ViewSonic and Samsung are just a few name brands that come to mind, and there are lots of off-brand monitors with this input. Prices range from under $100 to several thousand $s. And I know for a fact that Amazon can deliver overnight or sooner! 😃

1) HDMI - pretty standard for many monitors, and the mini supports a 4K monitor at 60Hz. Many monitors do that. This would be my first choice for an inexpensive monitor.

2) Thunderbolt4 - available on many monitors, especially those that are a little more expensive.

3) DisplayPort - a little harder to find in typical monitors, I think, but an option with the appropriate Thunderbolt4 to DisplayPort adapter/cable. This was kind of Apple proprietary at its best.

Here's a link to the specs for the newest Mac minis:

Mac mini - Technical Specifications - Apple

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2023 11:24 AM in response to WendySals

Before you ship that mini back, consider that it really is a great Mac, and it will connect to just about any monitor (or TV even) that has an HDMI input. Apple is not especially proprietary regarding monitors these days, and you have options to connect to one. LG, Acer, Dell, ViewSonic and Samsung are just a few name brands that come to mind, and there are lots of off-brand monitors with this input. Prices range from under $100 to several thousand $s. And I know for a fact that Amazon can deliver overnight or sooner! 😃

1) HDMI - pretty standard for many monitors, and the mini supports a 4K monitor at 60Hz. Many monitors do that. This would be my first choice for an inexpensive monitor.

2) Thunderbolt4 - available on many monitors, especially those that are a little more expensive.

3) DisplayPort - a little harder to find in typical monitors, I think, but an option with the appropriate Thunderbolt4 to DisplayPort adapter/cable. This was kind of Apple proprietary at its best.

Here's a link to the specs for the newest Mac minis:

Mac mini - Technical Specifications - Apple

Mar 22, 2023 9:33 AM in response to WendySals

If you are trying to use the iMac as a monitor for the Mac mini, then you are out of luck. That setup is not supported by Apple. The iMac cannot be used as a monitor for any of the newest Macs and Target Display mode is no longer a feature of macOS, having been deprecated several years ago.

Please see: Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Per the link above:

• Your target iMac (monitor) must be using macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 or earlier. 

• In all cases the source Mac that you're connecting FROM must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS 10.15 Catalina or earlier installed.

However, you might consider a third-party solution, for example: Luna Display or Duet Display.

If you are trying to connect the two computer to transfer data, I would suggest you use a Time Machine backup drive to do that. Create the backup on the old Mac, and then use Migration Assistant on the new Mac to move the data onto it.

Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

Restore your Mac from a backup - Apple Support

Mar 22, 2023 10:45 AM in response to D.I. Johnson

before I ship the mini mac back to Apple - do you have a monitor suggestion? I honestly was shying away from that option figuring Apple is so proprietary that a monitor from another manufacturer wouldn't be ok to use! This has been a tad frustrating as you can imagine, even more so given I dealt with Apple sales directly and they confirmed my intent to use the 2013 monitor with the 2023 mini mac. Thanks again - appreciate your guidance.

Mar 22, 2023 2:04 PM in response to D.I. Johnson

Once again, thank you so very much. This is a very viable solution and I’m ready to explore that vs sending the mini back or investing (heavily) in a new iMac!! Pretty surprised Apple sales did not make the suggestion as they are more than ready to give me full credit. Amazon delivery - I agree, super fast and reliable.

Thanks again - your fast and complete answers are most appreciated. Thanks.

Thunderbolt port late 2013 Imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.