Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Messages Contacts Missing

ALL contacts missing from texts in Messages app on iPhone.

Every text has no more sender photos, or sender names.

I can't seem to find a solution on this forum that has worked.

Thank You!

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Mar 23, 2023 8:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2023 2:29 PM

Hello GnomeMo,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We see you have an issue with the contacts on your device missing, and we'd like to help. Were your contacts stored in iCloud? If so, you can get help with restoring them here: Restore contacts stored in iCloud on iCloud.com - Apple Support

If not, or you can't find help here, the following link can assist with steps on how to locate mission contacts: If you accidentally deleted your calendars, bookmarks, or contacts from iCloud - Apple Support

Restore your contacts or bookmarks from an earlier version

1. Sign in to iCloud.com.
2. Scroll down to the bottom of the window, then select Data Recovery.
3. Select Restore Contacts or Restore Bookmarks. 
4. Select Restore next to the date before you deleted the content.
5. Select Restore again to confirm. After the restore completes, you get a notification on iCloud.com and an email at the address on file with your Apple ID.

Let us know if either article helps.

Regards.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2023 2:29 PM in response to GnomeMo

Hello GnomeMo,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We see you have an issue with the contacts on your device missing, and we'd like to help. Were your contacts stored in iCloud? If so, you can get help with restoring them here: Restore contacts stored in iCloud on iCloud.com - Apple Support

If not, or you can't find help here, the following link can assist with steps on how to locate mission contacts: If you accidentally deleted your calendars, bookmarks, or contacts from iCloud - Apple Support

Restore your contacts or bookmarks from an earlier version

1. Sign in to iCloud.com.
2. Scroll down to the bottom of the window, then select Data Recovery.
3. Select Restore Contacts or Restore Bookmarks. 
4. Select Restore next to the date before you deleted the content.
5. Select Restore again to confirm. After the restore completes, you get a notification on iCloud.com and an email at the address on file with your Apple ID.

Let us know if either article helps.

Regards.

Mar 24, 2023 3:57 PM in response to Jmanna13

icloud.com/recovery is showing "No Archives" under Restore Contacts.

However, the Contacts app on my iPhone is still showing all contacts.

The Phone app on my iPhone is also showing all of my contacts.

The Contacts "List" is correctly showing iCloud with 108 entries.

Under iCloud in Settings "Apps Using iCloud" Contacts is on

Thank you, but any other options?

Apr 3, 2023 5:53 AM in response to mingoslkd

Thank You again!

I am embarrassed to share, but it might be helpful to know what fixed it 🫣

Although my iPhone is backing up to my iCloud, when I removed a google account at one point, I lost 500+ contacts (I had way more than I thought). For some reason only 100'ish were backed up to my cloud. I'll look into how to remedy this at another time, but for now, ALL of my texts have contacts and photos returned now.

Thank you still for your help, you are appreciated!

iPhone Messages Contacts Missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.