Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS High Sierra

My MacBook Air is OS High Sierra 10.13.6. I wish to purchase a printer that needs 10.14. Is there an update available? I recall receiving notification some time back about an update but it advised me that it wasn't available for my MacBook.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 23, 2023 5:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2023 11:01 AM

Hello,

You mentioned a printer that needs macOS 10.14. Any information about the exact printer model?

Apple's AirPrint technology (About AirPrint - Apple Support) as such works with macOS 10.13 High Sierra (and some earlier operating system versions), without the need for additional drivers/software, provided that the printer and the Mac are connected to the same network (Wi-Fi router). AirPrint supports wireless (Wi-Fi) or wired (Ethernet) network connections. However, a printer manufacturer may supply extra software (for example, for setup and ink management purposes) that requires macOS 10.14 Mojave or higher.

So, if the printer that you wish to purchase is an AirPrint model, it may be possible to use it (at least temporarily) under the existing macOS version, depending upon the printer manufacturer requirements and any ink subscription agreements, et cetera.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2023 11:01 AM in response to LondonE4

Hello,

You mentioned a printer that needs macOS 10.14. Any information about the exact printer model?

Apple's AirPrint technology (About AirPrint - Apple Support) as such works with macOS 10.13 High Sierra (and some earlier operating system versions), without the need for additional drivers/software, provided that the printer and the Mac are connected to the same network (Wi-Fi router). AirPrint supports wireless (Wi-Fi) or wired (Ethernet) network connections. However, a printer manufacturer may supply extra software (for example, for setup and ink management purposes) that requires macOS 10.14 Mojave or higher.

So, if the printer that you wish to purchase is an AirPrint model, it may be possible to use it (at least temporarily) under the existing macOS version, depending upon the printer manufacturer requirements and any ink subscription agreements, et cetera.

Mar 24, 2023 4:33 AM in response to Jack-19

Hello Jack:

Thanks for your quick response and here's the information regarding my model: It shows 2017 but I purchased it in 2018.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Air

Model Identifier: MacBookAir7,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 1.8 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Boot ROM Version: 195.0.0.0.0

SMC Version (system): 2.27f2

Thanks for your help.

Roger

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

OS High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.