Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine on an Ext. Drive

I had time machine running on a partition of an external drive. It started to frustrate and cause of a delay of computer's starting time (it takes more than 5 minutes after entering my password) then I deleted the Time Machine from my system but now I can not mount / erase the Time Machine partition on the drive. Is there another way to erase a partition other than macOS's disk utility? so then I can reuse the same partition for a new Time Machine.

MacBook Pro 15″

Posted on Mar 24, 2023 5:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2023 7:22 AM

Once you follow previous advise above.

You may have to Reformat the Entire Drive via this method from Apple

link below

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support (CA)

This should give to user the ability to Re-Partition the drive, if that is what you chose to do

10 replies

Mar 24, 2023 11:19 PM in response to PRP_53

One last question. I can not erase the volumes nor delete the partitions could that be because I encrypted them when I create. If so how can I erase and delete the partitions (I mount them with my password but when I ask disk utility to erase the partition it says failed to erase it) your help would be much appreciated 🙏

Time Machine on an Ext. Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.