Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad not mirroring to tv

My ipad suddenly will not mirror my screen to the tv via airplay. It just goes black.

My iphone does.

I have rebooted the ipad and the apple tv.

I need help.😊

Apple TV (3rd generation)

Posted on Mar 24, 2023 10:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2023 9:50 AM

How about rebooting the iPhone since it activates the iPad when you attempt to share the screen on the Apple TV?

Try and Force Restart your iPhone EXACTLY as shown below and see whether that resolves the issue:

• Press and quickly release Volume UP button
  • Press and quickly release Volume DOWN button
  • Press and Hold the SIDE button until an Apple logo appears and then release the Side button (Can take up to 20 seconds. (DO NOT release Side Button when invited to Slide Power OFF). 

Axel F.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2023 9:50 AM in response to itouchboy123

How about rebooting the iPhone since it activates the iPad when you attempt to share the screen on the Apple TV?

Try and Force Restart your iPhone EXACTLY as shown below and see whether that resolves the issue:

• Press and quickly release Volume UP button
  • Press and quickly release Volume DOWN button
  • Press and Hold the SIDE button until an Apple logo appears and then release the Side button (Can take up to 20 seconds. (DO NOT release Side Button when invited to Slide Power OFF). 

Axel F.

Mar 25, 2023 4:05 PM in response to itouchboy123

In your earlier post you stated that when you select Screen Mirroring on your iPhone, then your Apple TV shows the screen of your iPad? Is that correct? This has me stumped.

OR

Did you mean to state that you once you start the Screen Mirroring from your iPhone, then you can go back to your iPad and Screen Mirror to the same Apple TV successfully?

Finally, Screen Mirroring is conducted over a Wi-Fi Network (as you already know). How about you reboot your Wi-Fi Router? You can simply go to your Router and turn it OFF (Unplug it from power) for 45 seconds and then plug it back in. Allow about 5 minutes for it to reboot and connect to the Internet. Then try Screen Mirroring form your iPad to your Apple TV.

Axel F.

Mar 28, 2023 6:02 PM in response to Axel Foley

Hi Axel,

Thanks for replying.

Sorry for the confusion. What I was saying was:

• I can do screen mirroring on my iPhone all the time.
  • I can’t do it on my iPad. It just goes to blank screen on the tv.

I called apple and after 4 hours (2 different people) and trying every thing, they recommended to reset the network setting. After doing that, the screen mirroring on the iPad worked. Not sure what the problem was, but the reset worked. I did have go back and update many setting.

Fred A.

Mar 24, 2023 6:17 PM in response to Axel Foley

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. I had done a reboot but used your method but the same result.

It is strange, when using my iPhone, I select mirroring from the side down control screen and pick my living room tv. It then displays the ipad screen. I then pick any app and display the output on the tv.

My iPad is up to date: 16.3.1

My apple Tv is up to date: 16.3.2 and been restarted

But if I do the same steps on the ipad, I get a black tv screen. I can select the apps on the apple TV screen, of example- photos and see the photos. But I am limited to only viewing the apps on the apple tv screen.

Just can’t understand why both the iPad and the iPhone were working and now the iPad is not.😟

ipad not mirroring to tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.