Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

16-inch MacBook Pro (12c CPU/19cGPU) - froze, died, won't boot and multiple MagSafe 3 chargers pulse amber

Laptop is complete dead after working fine. Screen saver was running on external display then froze and wouldn't respond from Bluetooth keyboard command.

Laptop cover was opened and no video, power seemed off and MagSafe 3 charger pulsing orange.

Disconnected everything and tried a second MagSafe 3 charger, light went green for a fraction of a second the went to pulsing orange. No power, no fan *blip*, no reaction of any kind when plugged in. Holding power button for 10 seconds has no effect.

Dead battery? Dead logic board? Laptop is about 2 weeks old, very frustrated and disappointed.

TIA!

*edit: also tried USB-C charge, no change in behavior, system appears completely dead.

Posted on Mar 24, 2023 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2023 5:09 PM

@WhyDoesAppleLie is correct that Apple does allow you to return the laptop for any reason within 14 days I believe.

The only option at this point I believe would be to try to "Restore" the firmware which will destroy all data on the internal SSD since the Apple Silicon Macs have no other tricks than what you have already tried. Unfortunately the "Restore" process requires access to another Mac running macOS 12.4.

If you cannot return the laptop, then you will likely need to have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider to have the laptop repaired under warranty.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2023 5:09 PM in response to csutech

@WhyDoesAppleLie is correct that Apple does allow you to return the laptop for any reason within 14 days I believe.

The only option at this point I believe would be to try to "Restore" the firmware which will destroy all data on the internal SSD since the Apple Silicon Macs have no other tricks than what you have already tried. Unfortunately the "Restore" process requires access to another Mac running macOS 12.4.

If you cannot return the laptop, then you will likely need to have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider to have the laptop repaired under warranty.

Mar 27, 2023 9:35 AM in response to csutech

Thanks all for the replies - FORTUNATELY (or not) the laptop worked just fine this morning after being disconnected over the weekend.

It's concerning to me that when I opened it as I got to work today it was in RECOVERY mode so I restarted it and it behaved completely normally. Battery was at around 90% and everything appeared to be fine.

It's concerning that this may be another issue that will return but fortunately it IS under AppleCare so I will keep a close eye on this user and update if anything worth noting come up for later reference.

16-inch MacBook Pro (12c CPU/19cGPU) - froze, died, won't boot and multiple MagSafe 3 chargers pulse amber

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.