Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2016 model

I have a Mac book pro A1708 which has developed horizontal black lines on the display making it impossible to see

The Apple assistance says it does not ‘qualify’ for the recall program because the lines are not vertical!

I’m hearing of this particular defect more and more and would like to know why it is not covered by the recall quality program

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 24, 2023 11:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2023 5:25 PM

First, technically it is not a "recall" program, but a free repair program. The difference is a "recall" is for a safety issue and is extremely rare for Apple (only one for a 2015 MBPro battery safety issue). Sorry, since I work in the tech field this is a very important designation.

Second, the free repair programs (or even recall programs) only apply to a certain range of computer serial numbers determine by Apple from information they receive from the assembly line and/or from component suppliers. Apple knows exactly when an assembly line manufacturing issue occurred, or when a known defective component was installed.

As for the free Display repair program for the MBPros....it was only valid for the MBPro 13" 2016 model. The "A1708" designation is too broad as it covers both the 2016 & 2017 MBPro 13" non-touchbar models.

Even for valid models, the program only covers very specific symptoms which only affected the backlight. So having lines on the display would not qualify even if your laptop is potentially covered by the free repair program. Here is the Apple article regarding the free Display repair program (notice the title of the article):

13-inch MacBook Pro Display Backlight Service Program - Apple Support

The free repair program also is only valid for up to five years after purchase (or three years since Apple started to offer the free repair program).

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2023 5:25 PM in response to MacBookProA1708

First, technically it is not a "recall" program, but a free repair program. The difference is a "recall" is for a safety issue and is extremely rare for Apple (only one for a 2015 MBPro battery safety issue). Sorry, since I work in the tech field this is a very important designation.

Second, the free repair programs (or even recall programs) only apply to a certain range of computer serial numbers determine by Apple from information they receive from the assembly line and/or from component suppliers. Apple knows exactly when an assembly line manufacturing issue occurred, or when a known defective component was installed.

As for the free Display repair program for the MBPros....it was only valid for the MBPro 13" 2016 model. The "A1708" designation is too broad as it covers both the 2016 & 2017 MBPro 13" non-touchbar models.

Even for valid models, the program only covers very specific symptoms which only affected the backlight. So having lines on the display would not qualify even if your laptop is potentially covered by the free repair program. Here is the Apple article regarding the free Display repair program (notice the title of the article):

13-inch MacBook Pro Display Backlight Service Program - Apple Support

The free repair program also is only valid for up to five years after purchase (or three years since Apple started to offer the free repair program).

Mar 25, 2023 1:56 AM in response to HWTech

Correct, Apple call it the service program. Thanks for clearing.

Mine definitely comes within the range of computers with this design fault as I checked through the serial number before writing. In fact I had read the article you sent too. What’s not clear is why mine, as with others of the same model, is giving this defect after a number of years of usage. In my case only six. When I buy an apple product, I pay the premium price to get a quality product. Not one which I’m forced to stop using due to a deign glitch. And apple need to recognize that this.

Mar 25, 2023 4:49 AM in response to MacBookProA1708

Consumer products, their warranties, and their extended warranties work in a predictable way.

Warrant-able implies, but does not guarantee, High Quality:

Consumer product makers build high quality products. You can tell because the manufacturer is willing to stand by their products and repair or replace them (but only for defects in materials or workmanship) at manufacturers expense for a stated warranty period.

For Apple Macs in most countries, that period is one year. That is the total responsibility Apple or any manufacturer has to you under law. Assumptions about additional responsibility of Apple or any other consumer product-maker's products working longer than the warranty period are not accurate. The amount you paid for the product has no bearing on this. The rules are the same for a car costing US$20,000 or more.

Electro-mechanical devices fail at random, arbitrary, and capricious times.

The most frequent reason for most failures is 'just because'.

Your specific failure is most likely caused by an advanced scientific principle called ...

... 'bad luck'.

--------

If you want a really substantial lesson how this this works (or more precisely how this stops working) own an older used automobile.

MacBook Pro 2016 model

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.