Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

simultaneously Playing Music on Homepod, TV audio on Apple TV.

I have an Apple TV 4k and Homepod 2 and am unable to stream music to the Homepod while simultaneously watching something on the apple TV. I'd like my music to come through the Homepod and the Apple TV audio to go through the TV speakers.

Steps to replicate issue

• Stream something on Apple TV 4k (I used Youtube TV app). Audio plays through default TV speakers
  • Open Apple Music on iPhone and select music to play. Tap to play.
  • Apple Music will first attempt to take over Apple TV and play there which stops TV stream
  • Attempting to only select Homepod and deselect Apple TV on phone does not work.

Any help to resolve this issue would be appreciated. If it helps, I'll never need to play the apple TV through the Homepod.

HomePod, 16

Posted on Mar 26, 2023 10:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2023 5:13 PM

Thank you for the reply, bgmeek. I'm not trying to play music through my ATV4K. Instead I want to play music through HomePod (from iPhone) and at the same time stream video on ATV4K with audio playing through the TV speakers. As soon as I start music on my iphone, it tries to take over what's on the ATV4K. Any attempts to adjust different speakers on my phone are unsuccessful.

After testing and looking through settings again, I may have found a resolution. iPhone > Settings > AirPlay & Handoff > Automatically AirPlay to TVs set to Never. This seems to have resolved my issue.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2023 5:13 PM in response to bgmeek

Thank you for the reply, bgmeek. I'm not trying to play music through my ATV4K. Instead I want to play music through HomePod (from iPhone) and at the same time stream video on ATV4K with audio playing through the TV speakers. As soon as I start music on my iphone, it tries to take over what's on the ATV4K. Any attempts to adjust different speakers on my phone are unsuccessful.

After testing and looking through settings again, I may have found a resolution. iPhone > Settings > AirPlay & Handoff > Automatically AirPlay to TVs set to Never. This seems to have resolved my issue.

Mar 26, 2023 2:55 PM in response to Everton_1983

Why are you going the long way around the block? Just play Apple Music on the HomePods or Apple TV device, and use both as speakers. "Hey Siri, play [what i want to hear] on Apple Music... Hey Siri, also play this on [Apple TV name]." If you prefer to avoid Siri, you can launch AMusic on the ATV4K, and select the HomePods as additional speakers.

As it happens, I also tested what you're trying to do from my iPhone. Started Apple Music, aimed the output at the ATV4K and the HomePods. Works as expected for me (see iPhone screenshot). It could be that you've got WiFi connectivity issues between your iPhone and HomePod(s). Do this: from iPhone > Settings > Wi-Fi > [Your home network - tap info button] > Turn OFF Private Wi-Fi Address (and ignore the f-ing 'Privacy Warning').

What you're trying to do is possible from any of your devices.

Mar 26, 2023 5:38 PM in response to Everton_1983

Glad you got it sorted out! "Automatic AirPlay to..." anything always seemed to me like annoying stuff waiting to happen :-).

Still, looking to do what you're doing, I would probably opt to tell the HomePod to play the music on its own (unless I need to browse for something to listen to). You'll still be able to control the pause/play/skip/volume from your iPhone (while conserving the iPhone's battery).

simultaneously Playing Music on Homepod, TV audio on Apple TV.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.