Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Display Support on 2021 MacBook Pro with M1 Pro

According to the Spec Page for my M1 laptop, MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) - Technical Specifications it says under Display Support:

"Up to two external displays with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors (M1 Pro)"

What If I have two 4K or two 1440p monitors? Would the refresh rate still be restricted to 60Hz or would it increase? I could not find any other documentation about maximum refresh rates at resolutions other than 6K.

Posted on Mar 26, 2023 3:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2023 5:56 PM

Those are the official specs. That is the highest refresh rate Apple promises to support.

At about 4K resolution, you are also approaching the physical switching speed for the type of digital logic used for displays, so failure to use high-speed cables appropriately short will cause you to have display problems, or possibly no picture.

Best results are with genuine ThunderBolt displays, because its cabling has higher bandwidth.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2023 5:56 PM in response to Ziiar

Those are the official specs. That is the highest refresh rate Apple promises to support.

At about 4K resolution, you are also approaching the physical switching speed for the type of digital logic used for displays, so failure to use high-speed cables appropriately short will cause you to have display problems, or possibly no picture.

Best results are with genuine ThunderBolt displays, because its cabling has higher bandwidth.

Display Support on 2021 MacBook Pro with M1 Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.