Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Target Display Mode

HELP!!! My 2021 Macbook pro works great with a 2010 iMac using TDM, but it doesn't work with my other old iMac (2011). I am aware that the 2010 IMac use the mini display port cable, and 2011 uses the thunderbolt cable. I use the thunderbolt cable for my 2011 IMac with an Thunderbolt adopter 2-3 to connect with the Macbook pro, but it still doesn't work. Anyone know why?

Pulling my hair out here!!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 26, 2023 6:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2023 8:33 AM

Target display mode is a feature that was available only with certain older iMac models.

The feature was deprecated by Apple several years ago and is no longer supported in either hardware or software.

Please see: Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Only the following older iMac models could be used as an external display when plugged into another older Mac model:

• iMac models introduced in 2011, 2012, 2013, and mid 2014 using Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 cable.
  • 24-inch and 27-inch iMac models introduced in 2009 and 2010 using Mini DisplayPort cable.

Per the link above re TDM:

• The intended target iMac must be running macOS 10.13 High Sierra or earlier; it does not work with macOS 10.14 Mojave or later, or with Boot Camp and Windows.
  • Retina display iMacs won’t work as target displays.
  • In all cases the source Mac that you're connecting FROM must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS 10.15 Catalina or earlier installed.

So, given these caveats, I'm surprised that your 2021 MacBook Pro even connects with one of your iMacs at all.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2023 8:33 AM in response to pikawu

Target display mode is a feature that was available only with certain older iMac models.

The feature was deprecated by Apple several years ago and is no longer supported in either hardware or software.

Please see: Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Only the following older iMac models could be used as an external display when plugged into another older Mac model:

• iMac models introduced in 2011, 2012, 2013, and mid 2014 using Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 cable.
  • 24-inch and 27-inch iMac models introduced in 2009 and 2010 using Mini DisplayPort cable.

Per the link above re TDM:

• The intended target iMac must be running macOS 10.13 High Sierra or earlier; it does not work with macOS 10.14 Mojave or later, or with Boot Camp and Windows.
  • Retina display iMacs won’t work as target displays.
  • In all cases the source Mac that you're connecting FROM must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS 10.15 Catalina or earlier installed.

So, given these caveats, I'm surprised that your 2021 MacBook Pro even connects with one of your iMacs at all.

Target Display Mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.