Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import photo library from external drive to new library in photos on new Mac

I used to keep my photo library on an external drive - in fact it was a iPhoto library that had previously been an Aperture library. I did once convert it to a photos library so it should be good to import to my new MacBook Air M2. Do I jus copy the Pictures folder somewhere in the Finder on the new Mac and then Alt-Open Photos to choose this as the library or is there another way to do it that is better? I want to move it all to the new MacBook Air to take advantage of iCloud features, plus I now have enough storage on the new MacBook Air that I used not to have on my 2008 iMac.

At one point I had opened the Library on my prior MacBook Air (2015) which wouldn't run Ventura but ran Monterey so it converted to a Photos library. It never finished recognizing all the Faces for some reason even though I left it plugged in an not sleeping for several days. I can't remember if I have to have Photos closed or open for that to happen.

T

MacBook Air (M2, 2022)

Posted on Mar 26, 2023 7:30 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

Mar 28, 2023 12:53 AM in response to Allez Epic

There are some limitations for merging libraries by importing photos from one library into another one:

• You can only import from a library that is not syncing with iCloud. So, if one of your libraries is an iCloud Photos library, import into the iCloud Library, not from the iCloud Library.
  • Photos cannot import the keywords and the alb7ms, only the media files. So merge, before you invest too much work into creating albums and adding keywords.
  • When importing from a library Photos will need a lot of memory to show you te photos to be imported, so import the smaller library into the larger library. Import photos from another library in Photos on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Import photo library from external drive to new library in photos on new Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.