Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers Chart: Combination of 2D Bar And 2D Stacked Bar Possible In One Chart?

Hello,

this is Tom in Germany.

I’d like to have a chart that shows …

• some rows as one 2D Stacked Bar,
  • and a (Footer) row as a 2D Bar next to the Stacked Bar.

Let’s say I have this table:

All I am able to build so far are these:

2D Bar:

2D Stacked Bar:

But what I want is this*:

Is there any way to do this* with one chart?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Tom

* For my mockup I placed a copy of a 2D Stacked Bar chart directly over the original, then clicked “Edit Data References” and removed all series except the footer row, then sent it to back, then edited data references for the other chart and removed the footer row series. Finally I moved one of the charts vertically until it looked fine and removed the duplicate labels at the axes. Nice, eh? 😁

iMac 27″ 5K

Posted on Mar 26, 2023 7:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2023 2:04 AM

Tom in Germany wrote:

Yes, it's possible with a Stacked Bar chart if you set up your data table like this, with the totals in columns of their own (without column headers) and blank columns to produce gaps in the chart between days:

To produce the chart I selected all cells in the table and from the menu chose Insert > Chart > 2D Stacked Bar, then clicked each series in the chart, changed its color under the Style tab and chose Same as Source Data or Value Labels under the Series tab.

SG

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2023 2:04 AM in response to Tom in Germany

Tom in Germany wrote:

Yes, it's possible with a Stacked Bar chart if you set up your data table like this, with the totals in columns of their own (without column headers) and blank columns to produce gaps in the chart between days:

To produce the chart I selected all cells in the table and from the menu chose Insert > Chart > 2D Stacked Bar, then clicked each series in the chart, changed its color under the Style tab and chose Same as Source Data or Value Labels under the Series tab.

SG

Apr 1, 2023 12:21 PM in response to Tom in Germany

BTW,

I’m back to my old method 😅 b/c currently I find it easier to maintain my improvised two-chart-combo than a more complicated table with shifted cells and mostly empty rows resp. columns. I did try something with a few merged cells and then reducing the line height resp. column width and hiding borders, etc., for reducing “useless” empty space but … nah, I found that I prefer my workaround.

Thanks nevertheless, I’ve learned an awesome trick.

Hopefully someone else will also learn my awesomely tricky workaround some day 😅

Numbers Chart: Combination of 2D Bar And 2D Stacked Bar Possible In One Chart?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.