Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Caps lock light always on (MBP M1 2021)

I have a MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2021).

My caps lock light won't turn off. Even if my computer is actually off, it is still on. It's bright when it's on and it's half-bright when it's off. It dulls with every key I press, but it comes straight back to being bright when I release it.

When the caps lock is on, it messes with my typing:

• when I press the space bar, I get HNY6 ] (seems to be all in a line except [ )
  • when I press the down arrow, I get IK*{< (I think with shift down)
  • when I press the ` button, I get AQZ1`

This doesn't happen when caps lock is dulled or with an external keyboard. I've tried all the standard troubleshooting:

• checked Text to Speech
  • checked Slow Keys
  • checked Keyboard Viewer (it shows as on/off as it should)
  • changed keyboard language
  • tried to reset NVRAM (even though it doesn't actually make a second startup chime)
  • reset SMC
  • tried checking First Aid on my startup disk
  • external keyboard works properly

I've also run MalwareBytes to check whether anything came across to my computer from the popups.

I can find a lot of people who have had this issue, but all have only had the above troubleshooting and no response from the original person as to whether it worked or anyone else adding any other possible ideas.

I'd love to avoid being without the computer for any length of time to get it repaired...so I'm hoping there's an obvious solution out there.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 27, 2023 7:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2023 8:27 AM

OlteanRadu wrote:

My caps lock light won't turn off. Even if my computer is actually off, it is still on. It's bright when it's on and it's half-bright when it's off. It dulls with every key I press, but it comes straight back to being bright when I release it.

when I press the space bar, I get HNY6 ] (seems to be all in a line except [ )
This doesn't happen when caps lock is dulled or with an external keyboard. I've tried all the standard troubleshooting:
checked Text to Speech
• checked Slow Keys
• tried to reset NVRAM (even though it doesn't actually make a second startup chime)
• reset SMC

I've also run MalwareBytes to check whether anything came across to my computer from the popups.

I can find a lot of people who have had this issue, but all have only had the above troubleshooting and no response from the original person as to whether it worked or anyone else adding any other possible ideas.

I'd love to avoid being without the computer for any length of time to get it repaired...so I'm hoping there's an obvious solution out there.

If your Caps lock is on then the Mac has not shut down.

You can force quite the Mac—You can always force quit a shutdown by holding the power button/TouchID for ~6-10 sec. ref: Shut down or restart your Mac - Apple Support

verify Full Keyboard Access did not get turned on—

ref:Navigate your Mac using Full Keyboard Access - Apple Support

Navigate your Mac using Full Keyboard Access - Apple Support

There is no SMC or NVRAM on the M1 Mac...

The best you can do if you have an issue— equivalent Shut down, close the lid 30 secs+ , reboot as normal.

If no resolve try SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support to sort anomalies.

if no resolve you can try the user Diagnostic...not as definitive as Apple's own AST2 (Apple Service Toolkit) back bench diagnostic, but may kick out an error code.

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

Take it in—

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2023 8:27 AM in response to Community User

OlteanRadu wrote:

when I press the space bar, I get HNY6 ] (seems to be all in a line except [ )
checked Text to Speech
• checked Slow Keys
• reset SMC

If your Caps lock is on then the Mac has not shut down.

You can force quite the Mac—You can always force quit a shutdown by holding the power button/TouchID for ~6-10 sec. ref: Shut down or restart your Mac - Apple Support

verify Full Keyboard Access did not get turned on—

ref:Navigate your Mac using Full Keyboard Access - Apple Support

Navigate your Mac using Full Keyboard Access - Apple Support

There is no SMC or NVRAM on the M1 Mac...

The best you can do if you have an issue— equivalent Shut down, close the lid 30 secs+ , reboot as normal.

If no resolve try SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support to sort anomalies.

if no resolve you can try the user Diagnostic...not as definitive as Apple's own AST2 (Apple Service Toolkit) back bench diagnostic, but may kick out an error code.

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

Take it in—

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Caps lock light always on (MBP M1 2021)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.