Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just backed up my iPhone but don’t see all of my contacts in iCloud. What am I doing wrong

I just backed up my iPhone but don’t see all of my contacts in iCloud. What am I doing wrong?

Posted on Mar 27, 2023 7:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2023 8:20 AM

This is often confusing to many; but essentially the backup only backs up data which is NOT already saved and/or sync’d off-device by other mechanisms.

Excerpted from:

What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

“Your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch backups only include information and settings stored [only] on your device. They do not include information already stored in iCloud such as Contacts, Calendars, Bookmarks, Notes, Reminders, Voice Memos”

Your contacts are either separately stored and backed-up with your e-mail application; while any iCloud Contacts are continuously synced to iCloud separately.

You can confirm it’s setting is “on” at:

Settings -> AppleID -> iCloud -> [Show All] -> Contacts

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2023 8:20 AM in response to Skapsak3

This is often confusing to many; but essentially the backup only backs up data which is NOT already saved and/or sync’d off-device by other mechanisms.

Excerpted from:

What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

“Your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch backups only include information and settings stored [only] on your device. They do not include information already stored in iCloud such as Contacts, Calendars, Bookmarks, Notes, Reminders, Voice Memos”

Your contacts are either separately stored and backed-up with your e-mail application; while any iCloud Contacts are continuously synced to iCloud separately.

You can confirm it’s setting is “on” at:

Settings -> AppleID -> iCloud -> [Show All] -> Contacts

I just backed up my iPhone but don’t see all of my contacts in iCloud. What am I doing wrong

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.