Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Album artwork missing after importing iTunes library to Music

Hi,

I've imported my iTunes library into Music (on Monterey), and all the music and playlists seems to be there, but alas, the album artwork is missing. (Strangely enough, a few small album artwork "thumbs" actually appear at the top of the window when playing, but nowhere else.)

Maybe I've done something wrong in the process?

First I converted the iTunes library into Music library (with the kind help from turingtest2), and put the new Music Library file into the Music folder.

Then I put the iTunes Music folder into the Media folder (called "Medier" on my Mac), and renamed it from "iTunes Music" to "Music".

I would rather not download the album artwork automatically, I'm afraid it will create a mess. (I have a lot of manually imported album covers.)

Does anyone have a solution? How can I get the Music app to find/import the Album artwork?

iMac (M1, 2021)

Posted on Mar 27, 2023 7:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2023 8:21 AM

Unfortunately Music doesn't just reuse the old iTunes Album Artwork cache. Music should be able to build a cache from any embedded artwork, but you will need to enable the automatic download artwork option if your media files don't already have art and you want to get remaining images from the store. It does appear that sometimes the process of building the cache doesn't work properly, in which case deleting what it has so far and starting over may help.

The location should be ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.AMPArtworkAgent/Data where ~ is your user's home folder. Quit Music, delete the folder, and then empty the trash or permanently delete the specific folder.

Show hidden files and folders with Shift+Cmd+. to aid your navigation.

Next either reboot your computer or use Activity Monitor to find and terminate a process named AMPArtworkAgent. Music should build the artwork cache as you scroll through your library.

tt2

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2023 8:21 AM in response to jazzpod

Unfortunately Music doesn't just reuse the old iTunes Album Artwork cache. Music should be able to build a cache from any embedded artwork, but you will need to enable the automatic download artwork option if your media files don't already have art and you want to get remaining images from the store. It does appear that sometimes the process of building the cache doesn't work properly, in which case deleting what it has so far and starting over may help.

The location should be ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.AMPArtworkAgent/Data where ~ is your user's home folder. Quit Music, delete the folder, and then empty the trash or permanently delete the specific folder.

Show hidden files and folders with Shift+Cmd+. to aid your navigation.

Next either reboot your computer or use Activity Monitor to find and terminate a process named AMPArtworkAgent. Music should build the artwork cache as you scroll through your library.

tt2

Mar 28, 2023 6:38 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for the explanation, turingtest2!

I enabled the automatic download artwork option, and most of the album covers (luckily) showed up correctly, so I'm really happy. The rest of them I will just add manually.

I suppose all the iTunes Library files (+ Album Artwork) in the Music folder can now be safely removed/deleted?

Album artwork missing after importing iTunes library to Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.