Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to include an emoji in my contact names?

how is the symbol included as part of the name, ?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Mar 27, 2023 11:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2023 10:11 PM

The "Heart" symbol is an Emoji Character that you can add with the built-in emoji keyboard.

If you haven't already activated the Emoji keyboard, you can do it here:

Settings General Keyboard KeyboardsAdd New Keyboard... → search for Emoji and add.

Now you can add emoji characters to text, just like the contact on your screenshot. Look for the Emoji button in the keyboard, or tap and hold the Globe icon and select Emoji to see all the icons.

You can find more information about using emojis here:

Use emoji on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2023 10:11 PM in response to shorty0000

The "Heart" symbol is an Emoji Character that you can add with the built-in emoji keyboard.

If you haven't already activated the Emoji keyboard, you can do it here:

Settings General Keyboard KeyboardsAdd New Keyboard... → search for Emoji and add.

Now you can add emoji characters to text, just like the contact on your screenshot. Look for the Emoji button in the keyboard, or tap and hold the Globe icon and select Emoji to see all the icons.

You can find more information about using emojis here:

Use emoji on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Mar 28, 2023 8:40 AM in response to shorty0000

Arhh okay if you try to insert an emoji here:

Settings Apple IDName, Phone Numbers, EmailName

That is why. The name associated with the Apple ID must not contain emojis.

You can do this under Contacts, also under your own contact in the Contact app. But your name, which is officially associated with your Apple ID, must be without Emojis. I just tested on my own, I get the same message when I try to add an emoji to my official Apple ID name.

You can also put an Emoji on the name that people see (can choose to see) when you send them iMessages. You can do this here: Settings Messages Share Name and Photo

How to include an emoji in my contact names?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.