Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage

Do I need to allow my iMessage to use iCloud I order for my text messages to go to my MacBook also? Or is the send and receive option in iMessage the same thing

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Mar 27, 2023 1:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2023 1:05 PM

Hey there!

Thanks for reaching out to the community.

I see that you're looking into using iMessage on iPhone and Mac. In theory, the best way to do this would be yes, to enable message syncing in iCloud settings on both your iPhone and Mac.

The reason you may want to enable iMessage syncing is any time you receive a message on one device, the message will then sync with the cloud, and then to any other devices on your AppleID with iMessage syncing enabled.

If you choose to not use iMessage syncing with iCloud, then you may have instances where some conversations are only viewable on one device, and not on another, and vice versa.

This link from Apple explains how to enable iMessage syncing on your Mac. Access your messages on all your Apple devices - Apple Support

Anything else you need to know about iMessage can be found at Messages for iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Mac - Official Apple Support

I hope this helped!

~ TurtleGlo

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2023 1:05 PM in response to Marie_v_p

Hey there!

Thanks for reaching out to the community.

I see that you're looking into using iMessage on iPhone and Mac. In theory, the best way to do this would be yes, to enable message syncing in iCloud settings on both your iPhone and Mac.

The reason you may want to enable iMessage syncing is any time you receive a message on one device, the message will then sync with the cloud, and then to any other devices on your AppleID with iMessage syncing enabled.

If you choose to not use iMessage syncing with iCloud, then you may have instances where some conversations are only viewable on one device, and not on another, and vice versa.

This link from Apple explains how to enable iMessage syncing on your Mac. Access your messages on all your Apple devices - Apple Support

Anything else you need to know about iMessage can be found at Messages for iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Mac - Official Apple Support

I hope this helped!

~ TurtleGlo

iMessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.