Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Ventura 13.3 broke my screensaver--

Upgraded last night. Now screen saver won't appear on the main display, just on the extended display. After a while, the words "No Picture" appear on the main display.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.3

Posted on Mar 28, 2023 4:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2023 4:39 PM

This happened once before recently. Any screen saver that shows photos from a folder, while showing them in the tiny preview, just shows a black screen when activated.

I just updated and now no photos show anymore when screen saver is activated.

131 replies

Mar 30, 2023 5:31 AM in response to shortblondeguy

shortblondeguy wrote:

<snip>

Prior to this update, it had been showing on both displays just fine.

When using the Mac alone, the screensaver appears just fine.

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/b2de5d7f-cf84-4202-9da4-8f1990f916f3

Yes, I confirm the same symptoms, and them some.

I am also using Fliqlo version 1.8.5 on my 16" M1 MBP.

External monitors are a Philips PHL223V5, and a Lenovo D22e-20.

Prior to this update, Fliqlo worked just fine on all three displays.

With the external displays disconnected, Fliqlo appears to work as per normal.

With the displays connected, however, Fliqlo only appears on one of them, and never on the main XDR display.

Most occasions, though Fliqlo appears on neither main, nor external display, rendering the whole screensaver pointless.

I have also noted that when Fliqlo does appear on an external display, it is slightly off-centre: That is, it has an alignment issue that cannot be corrected through resolution options.

If I had an inkling this update would f**k-up my screensaver - and likely other features yet to be discovered - I would never have bothered with it.

Mar 28, 2023 8:52 AM in response to Community User

Nearem wrote:

After updating to Ventura 13.3, my Mac will flicker black twice during startup. Once during the loading bar after the Apple logo appears, and again about 7 seconds after reaching the login screen. Have you experienced this issue as well?

Shutting down and restarting more than once is always advised after any upgrade or update...

If you have an ongoing issue— try reinstalling the macOS on top of the existing macOS

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

May 24, 2023 1:47 AM in response to mikebrown

OK, this is not an issue for me. Photo Library works - note some users reported the photos showed up "later", probably an indexing process. But I thought I would re-cap a few points about the issue and fixes in 13.4:

• some built-in savers are not affected by this issue (Flurry, Arabesque, Shell), most of them are (photos ones, but also Hello and even Message), the third-party ones differ, probably depending on which "engine" it uses
  • the error is manifested either by a blank screen, or inability to load photos, or by showing the same content on all displays where it should be different (i.e. Hello or Message)
  • the issue was always intermittent; in 13.3, the failure rate was well above 90%, and in 13.4, it's below 10%

May 2, 2023 5:34 AM in response to kipmanley

Same here with a 14" MBP M2 2023.

BUT:

• first I tried in a normal way; I selected the pic folder and got nothing after several "Preview" tests
  • then I pressed and kept ALT-key down. Because why not. I pressed also "Preview". PICTURES! WOW! But only in a secondary display.

And when I tested preview again without ALT; it showed pictures only every fourth times. 3 out of 4 times were with a black screen.

Then I trashed screensaver preferences from User/Library. And found out that there were some old prefs from iLife hanging around ;-)

Tested with preview; totally random results. First 2 times ok, one no go, then 1 ok, 2 no go etc.

Then I trashed prefs from HD/Library. Same thing

Results; it works randomly in a secondary display about 40% of times. I have not tested by leaving the saver on for a longer time.

Mar 29, 2023 2:29 PM in response to kipmanley

I had a similar issue, but in my case, the secondary display stopped showing the screensaver. Note that I had my MacBook Pro disconnected from my dock when I did the Ventura 13.3 update. The next day, I connected my Mac to my dock (which also has my secondary display connected) and noticed the issue. My secondary display eventually just displayed No Photos. I tried restarting my Mac and the first time I initiated the screensaver, the secondary display showed the screensaver, but on subsequent initiations, it did not.

Mar 29, 2023 4:55 PM in response to kipmanley

I'm using the Fliqlo screensaver and my LG 24" Ultrafine display set as main screen.

I had set the screensaver to show on both displays. Now it only shows on the built in display, I guess at the size it wants to show it on the larger display?

Prior to this update, it had been showing on both displays just fine.

When using the Mac alone, the screensaver appears just fine.

Mar 28, 2023 8:19 AM in response to leroydouglas

After updating to Ventura 13.3, my Mac will flicker black twice during startup. Once during the loading bar after the Apple logo appears, and again about 7 seconds after reaching the login screen. Have you experienced this issue as well?

Ventura 13.3 broke my screensaver--

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.