Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two people using same iPad

My wife just got a new iPad Air and has started using it.

I am now using her old iPad Pro (replacing my Chromebook that died). I would like to set up a user account on this IPad Pro for myself, but I do not want to delete her account from the old iPad Pro until we are confident that everything she needs or wants from the iPad Pro is available on the new iPad Air. (This includes a lot of Google stuff, as well as other apps and accounts.)

I've added my Gmail account. Can anyone offer further guidance, suggestions, or a link thereto?

Thanks for any help.

iPad, iOS 10

Posted on Mar 28, 2023 2:54 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Mar 28, 2023 3:32 PM in response to LotusPilot

Thank you, LotusPilot. That’s helpful. My main purpose for using the old iPad Pro is to read the e-editions of two local newspapers at breakfast. Those are joint subscriptions, which were not troubled by our using either or both at the same time - my wife on this iPad Pro and I on my Chromebook, until it broke.

I take it that this will continue to work with me on the old iPad Pro and her on the new iPad Air. There is nothing else I really need the iPad Pro for, but it handles the newspapers far better than the Chromebook did.

Mar 28, 2023 3:03 PM in response to denke

Unlike other computers with which you may be familiar, that support multiple user profiles - other than “managed” educational environments, OS/iPadOS devices are not intended to be shared.

While it is possible to have email accounts for multiple users configured on a single device, on one AppleID can be signed-in. There will be no segregation of data between users - everything being visible - including Passwords, Personal Data, Calendars etc.

Be aware that if you sign-out of iCloud and other Apple services - and allow another user to sign-in - you’ll not be able to change back for 90-days. This restriction, intended to prevent account abuse, cannot be bypassed.

Unless you fully understand and accept the implications, you would be well advised to reconsider sharing your iPad with another user.

Mar 28, 2023 3:55 PM in response to denke

As described, assuming that your Wife understands that all data is accessible to you while you use the iPad in its current state, you appear to have no immediate need to sign-in with your own AppleID credentials.

When you are ready to fully transfer the old iPad for your own use, you’ll need to properly prepare the iPad for your own use:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Two people using same iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.