Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Bricked iPhone running iOS 16.4

I have an iPhone 14 Pro Max. I downloaded iOS 16.4 yesterday without issue. This morning I woke up to a bricked phone.

Last night when I went to bed my phone was on the charger at about 60%. When I woke up my phone was completely unresponsive. I knew it could not have died over night because even if I hadn’t be on the charger the phone would have had sufficient batter remaining to make it through the night. I pressed the physical side buttons and received no response. I manually plugged my phone into an outlet and still did’t receive a response from the phone. I held the volume up then the volume down button, followed by the right side button for a hard reset, and still no response. I have done this repeatedly for the last 30 minutes before writing the forum. My phone remains bricked.

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Mar 29, 2023 1:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2023 1:04 PM

Hi Laddison254,

Confirm you've taken the steps here:

If the iPhone does eventually turn on but doesn't fully load, you may need to reinstall iOS using a Mac or PC. That is covered under the section "If your iPhone turns on but gets stuck during start up".

If the iPhone still will not turn on, and/or reinstall iOS, your best bet from here is going to be to contact Apple Support directly as this may be a hardware issue.

Take care.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2023 1:04 PM in response to Laddison254

Hi Laddison254,

Confirm you've taken the steps here:

If the iPhone does eventually turn on but doesn't fully load, you may need to reinstall iOS using a Mac or PC. That is covered under the section "If your iPhone turns on but gets stuck during start up".

If the iPhone still will not turn on, and/or reinstall iOS, your best bet from here is going to be to contact Apple Support directly as this may be a hardware issue.

Take care.

Apr 5, 2023 5:35 PM in response to jcyl2

Again, check with the manufacturer of your charger. Worst case scenario they tell you it is not compatible with iOS 16.4 (which wouldn’t make it a bug. Just incompatible). Best case scenario they say that it is compatible. But since you are currently trying to figure out what may be going on taking a step to check on this possibility would seem worth it to possibly eliminate a cause instead of just assuming. That’s entirely up to you though.

Apr 18, 2023 6:14 AM in response to jcyl2

This happened to me just now with my Iphone 13 pro max 16.4.1. I had it on wireless charging and woke up in the mornging and it's gone. so took it to Apple, left it there, today had to go back to collect it. Of course, they're saying my lightning port was dusty (but hey, i am using wireless everywhere). So surely there is a bug.

Bricked iPhone running iOS 16.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.