Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with new portable HDD

Hi, I purchased a portable HDD and when connected to laptop, it asked erase or not something and pressed yes and now it won’t read it tonopen it. It’s brand new. I erased from the system or something. It appears on a window but cannot access it. Thanks in advance. The model don’t know for sure but mac laptop

MacBook (2017)

Posted on Mar 29, 2023 2:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2023 11:27 AM

Kellynda9 wrote:

Hi, I purchased a portable HDD and when connected to laptop, it asked erase or not something and pressed yes and now it won’t read it tonopen it. It’s brand new. I erased from the system or something. It appears on a window but cannot access it. Thanks in advance. The model don’t know for sure but mac laptop

All new drives should be erased/formatted/initialized as new...

In DiskUtility>View>Show All Devices you are selecting for the top most parent drive, not the Volume level, not the Container level

for Mac only—

GUID/APFS

or

GUID/HFS+

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2023 11:27 AM in response to Kellynda9

Kellynda9 wrote:

All new drives should be erased/formatted/initialized as new...

In DiskUtility>View>Show All Devices you are selecting for the top most parent drive, not the Volume level, not the Container level

for Mac only—

GUID/APFS

or

GUID/HFS+

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Problems with new portable HDD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.