Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail Creates Deleted folder in addition to Trash folder.

When I delete email on the Mac it goes into Trash. When I delete an email from my iPad/iPhone it goes into the Trash folder on the iPad/iPhone AND the Mac also creates a Deleted Messages folder and moves the message into it (instead of the existing Trash folder). As a result, disgarded email lands in "Deleted Messages" or "Trash", depending on which device was used to erase it.

My goal is to have a single folder called Trash where all of my discarded email lands, no matter which device was used to discard it.

Other threads state that this quirk is by design to precent data loss. They suggest emptying the contents of the Deleted Messages folder as a solution. Their solution would be okay if the messages moved to Trash, but they do not. They are deleted permanently.

Does anyone have an explanation of the functionality and/or a workaround?

Thank you.

MacBook Air, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 29, 2023 4:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2023 10:14 AM

They're all setup as IMAP & not POP?

See the settings for Trash etc...

Mail>Preferences>Accounts>Your Account>Mailbox Behaviors, what path is Trash Mailbox set to?

Similar questions

5 replies

Apple Mail Creates Deleted folder in addition to Trash folder.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.