Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change Apple ID in Mac

One of the Macs in the office still has the Apple ID of someone who left the office quite some time ago. We are running into problems with the settings for this now-absent worker. I think that the current user of the Mac should get his or her own Apple ID and set it in System Settings. I would hope that that new user can delete the Apple ID of the previous user.

Can this be done?

MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)

Posted on Mar 29, 2023 8:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2023 9:25 AM

If that Mac has not been properly managed and is associated with an Apple ID, including iCloud and the Find My app and process, then you will need to contact the previous user and ask them to release and remove that computer from their Apple ID account.

Please see: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203993

Without the cooperation of the previous user, this Mac may be inaccessible and could very well become a door stop. It may require a visit to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider along with a purchase receipt in order to be wiped and reloaded with an OS and then the software required by the office.

For an office computer, the Apple ID associated with the computer should belong to the company, never the user, to avoid exactly this scenario. The password(s) for access should remain with the IT or technical support folks.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2023 9:25 AM in response to R_55a

If that Mac has not been properly managed and is associated with an Apple ID, including iCloud and the Find My app and process, then you will need to contact the previous user and ask them to release and remove that computer from their Apple ID account.

Please see: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203993

Without the cooperation of the previous user, this Mac may be inaccessible and could very well become a door stop. It may require a visit to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider along with a purchase receipt in order to be wiped and reloaded with an OS and then the software required by the office.

For an office computer, the Apple ID associated with the computer should belong to the company, never the user, to avoid exactly this scenario. The password(s) for access should remain with the IT or technical support folks.

How to change Apple ID in Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.