Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it safe to delete everthing in ~/LIBRARY/Caches folder IN VENTURA?

I know this is kind of a vague question but is it safe to empty ~/Library/Caches in Ventura? I have an M1 iMac.

Thanks.

iMac 24″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Mar 29, 2023 9:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2023 9:48 AM

You could do this in Safe boot mode by moving the entire contents of the Folder to Trash, and rebooting normally. Then empty the Trash contents.

Two reasons you shouldn't bother is that the contents of that Caches folder will be replaced by the operating system and applications that you launch after the reboot, and your applications will be slower on launch until they rebuild their Caches contents again.

I used to do this and have not bothered in the last several years.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2023 9:48 AM in response to Lloyd Lathrop

You could do this in Safe boot mode by moving the entire contents of the Folder to Trash, and rebooting normally. Then empty the Trash contents.

Two reasons you shouldn't bother is that the contents of that Caches folder will be replaced by the operating system and applications that you launch after the reboot, and your applications will be slower on launch until they rebuild their Caches contents again.

I used to do this and have not bothered in the last several years.

Is it safe to delete everthing in ~/LIBRARY/Caches folder IN VENTURA?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.