Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Can my iPhone SE be set to accept mic input through the lightning port?

Using my iPhone SE for video production and looking at some radio mics that would come in through the lightning port -- only port available. Can I do that? If so, where is the setting for which audio mic port to use?

Gary

iPhone SE (3rd generation)

Posted on Mar 29, 2023 1:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2023 3:42 PM

You are correct and it does work on iPhone SE 1st and 2nd generation. In fact, here is the compatibility list directly from the product page:

iPhone Models

iPad Models

• iPad Pro 12.9-inch (2nd generation)
  • iPad Pro 12.9-inch (1st generation)
  • iPad Pro 10.5-inch
  • iPad Pro 9.7-inch
  • iPad Air (3rd generation)
  • iPad Air 2
  • iPad (7th generation)
  • iPad (6th generation)
  • iPad (5th generation)
  • iPad mini (5th generation)
  • iPad mini 4

iPod Models

• iPod touch (7th generation)

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2023 3:42 PM in response to Branta_uk

You are correct and it does work on iPhone SE 1st and 2nd generation. In fact, here is the compatibility list directly from the product page:

iPhone Models

iPad Models

• iPad Pro 12.9-inch (2nd generation)
  • iPad Pro 12.9-inch (1st generation)
  • iPad Pro 10.5-inch
  • iPad Pro 9.7-inch
  • iPad Air (3rd generation)
  • iPad Air 2
  • iPad (7th generation)
  • iPad (6th generation)
  • iPad (5th generation)
  • iPad mini (5th generation)
  • iPad mini 4

iPod Models

• iPod touch (7th generation)

Mar 29, 2023 1:57 PM in response to ctowngary

Apple sells microphones, which can be used through the lightning port of an iPhone.

Buying one from Apple would ensure it will work with your iPhone.

Like this for example, which is compatible with the second generation iPhone SE --> https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HMG72ZM/A/r%C3%B8de-microphones-videomic-me-l-microphone?fnode=801fb7de7fdff51714d8e118f28c6be41b74dbbfaeabf7e7c778cfcd2fff2a04bd4711849623c64b40880b0d22e9f33a7c46d3c2224c9cb7fc3337a9348d7be145cd0c1846238f26e25e8c829878d659a2d4eabf169a5e5c469317caebcfb5bd0e3589b5859907ff7f59fd317ffb9872

Mar 29, 2023 3:03 PM in response to ctowngary

Be aware the mic mentioned by lobsterghost1 as compatible with iPhone SE is actually compatible with almost every iPhone since the original SE and iPhone 6S. The basic concept is microphone audio through the Lightning port, which was obvious even with the basic wired headsets provided with many earlier iPhones.

What is available from different manufacturers will depend where in the world you live. Do your own research. Check the websites for your preferred manufacturer(s) and you will get accurate information about availability.

Nov 24, 2023 10:51 PM in response to ctowngary

iPhone Lightning port can be used as a "Line In" connection to route audio from either a mic or another source, such as your amplifier [with appropriate jack of course or RCA to mini jack adapter].

So, if like me you wanted to digitise your vast collection of vinyl records with all the 'character' that vinyl gives you simply need the correct adapter.

My Apple Lighting - mini jack would NOT do the trick. I had to use a third party product to force the iPhone [in my case both 7 and Pro 14] to "see" my connection and treat it as an audio in port.

I used the dongle that came with my Røde mic. It is made by BOYA and is the BY-K8 dongle. It works a treat.

Note: there is a new TRRS which has replaced the one I am using the TRS mini jack.

I hope this helps all you guys who want a simple "Line-In" solution from any audio source to your iPhone. It is a superb way to digitise your audio collection and get it on your digital library once and for all!

Can my iPhone SE be set to accept mic input through the lightning port?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.