Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch 7 - no haptic or sound notifications only for Messages

I’ve had my watch a month now, I get sound and haptic notifications for everything except Messages.

Phone and Watch are running the latest iOS.

I’ve re-paired. I’ve factory reset the Watch. I’ve reset the phone’s Network Settings.

I’ve turned sounds off and on. Do Not Disturb on and off. Theater mode on and off.

I’ve tried turning the notification settings for Messages off and on. I’ve tried mirroring the phone’s notification settings.

Nothing I have found elsewhere is working.

Apple Watch Series 7

Posted on Mar 29, 2023 2:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2023 2:33 PM

I believe message notifications 2work like all other notifications. Notifications appear on your Apple Watch or iPhone, but not both. If your iPhone is unlocked, you get notifications on your iPhone instead of your Apple Watch. If your iPhone is locked or asleep, you get notifications on your Apple Watch, unless your Apple Watch is locked. For more info, see:

Notifications on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2023 2:33 PM in response to Dpeck01230

I believe message notifications 2work like all other notifications. Notifications appear on your Apple Watch or iPhone, but not both. If your iPhone is unlocked, you get notifications on your iPhone instead of your Apple Watch. If your iPhone is locked or asleep, you get notifications on your Apple Watch, unless your Apple Watch is locked. For more info, see:

Notifications on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Mar 30, 2023 3:55 AM in response to javaliga

Right, but when I’ve got the phone locked the Messages app is the only one that will not vibrate or make a sound. It’s locked and in my pocket the majority of the day, and because the Watch takes over when the phone is locked I miss all notifications about incoming messages unless I look at the watch.

If I turn off wrist detection I can get the phone to chime but I wanted the Watch for that.

Apple Watch 7 - no haptic or sound notifications only for Messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.