You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

tvOS 18 is now available

Updates elevate cinematic experiences and make it even easier to manage the home. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

16.4 update and Classical app breaks airplay to HomePods

Since updating to 16.4 and adding the Apple Classical app, airplay from the phone no longer functions correctly when using the Classical app. Music only is produced from one of a stereo pair HomePod (1st gen) set up via airplay. On the other hand, streaming via airplay of classical music from the Music app on the phone OR desktop works correctly as it always did with both speakers producing music.

Something seems broken with the Classical app or the 16.4 updates to HomePods and iPhones.

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Mar 30, 2023 9:45 AM

3 replies

Mar 31, 2023 9:05 AM in response to PiperMAC

Airplay does not work on some hifi amps after 16.4.

My setup using Airplay includes 3 hifi amplifiers that support and work with Airplay 2. These are units from NAD, Lyngdorf and Hegel. After 16.4 update the NAD and Hegel stopped working correctly namely the volume control is missing on the Airplay panel ( volume slider is grayed out ). Contacted Hegel and NAD and they don't have an answer.

So , for me 40 000 USD of hifi equipment doesn't have volume control. Apple, please fix this !

Mar 31, 2023 9:09 AM in response to Nuno Sousa

That sounds like a painful discovery. My component system (Denon and Rotel components) have been in their boxes in the garage for the last five years, and I have been enjoying the HomePods since they came out. I am flabbergasted thought that Apple's vaunted and long awaited Classical app offering can't deliver both right and left channel audio via airplay to the HomePods unless that is a restriction built in for copyright purposes. Oddly, audio from the music app, including classical music from my library, plays perfectly over airplay to the HomePods.

16.4 update and Classical app breaks airplay to HomePods

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.