Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to export photos from Photos App, continues to crash or have to force quit application

I am having a problem with exporting photos from the Photos App so that I can clean the MacBook and sell it. However, I was only able to export some of the photos that are in the app, and something is causing the Photos App to crash whenever I try to export the photos that are left. It does not show what the problem is but I have reported every single time I had to force close or the app crashing to Apple. I do not know what to do and I have messed up with exporting the previous library so I am trying to redo with some old photos. I do not know how to flag the constant problem and new update is not making it easy at all....

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Mar 30, 2023 2:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2023 7:58 AM

The Photos Library's database seems confused in connecting the thumbnails you see with the full sized images it has. This can happen sometimes, especially if you use "disk-cleaning" software and stuff like that, which can corrupt the Library.

You don't mention that you're using iCloud to synchronize Photos, so I'm going to guess that you're not. If that's correct, then try these standard first steps:

• Restart the computer (of course)
  • Rebuild your Photos Library--close Photos and re-launch by option-command-clicking the app icon.
  • Re-start in Safe Mode. This bypasses certain potentially disruptive processes. Safe Mode is different for different computers, so see this:

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support 

The idea is to find out if the problem is with the Library, with your account, or with caches and login items, and stuff like that. One of these steps may fix the problem, but their failure to work is also diagnostic.

If you are using iCloud, then the best thing would be to make a new Library, make it the System Library, and connect this new System Library to iCloud. Then sit back and wait for your pictures to download from iCloud.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2023 7:58 AM in response to flower_bee

The Photos Library's database seems confused in connecting the thumbnails you see with the full sized images it has. This can happen sometimes, especially if you use "disk-cleaning" software and stuff like that, which can corrupt the Library.

You don't mention that you're using iCloud to synchronize Photos, so I'm going to guess that you're not. If that's correct, then try these standard first steps:

• Restart the computer (of course)
  • Rebuild your Photos Library--close Photos and re-launch by option-command-clicking the app icon.
  • Re-start in Safe Mode. This bypasses certain potentially disruptive processes. Safe Mode is different for different computers, so see this:

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support 

The idea is to find out if the problem is with the Library, with your account, or with caches and login items, and stuff like that. One of these steps may fix the problem, but their failure to work is also diagnostic.

If you are using iCloud, then the best thing would be to make a new Library, make it the System Library, and connect this new System Library to iCloud. Then sit back and wait for your pictures to download from iCloud.

Unable to export photos from Photos App, continues to crash or have to force quit application

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.