Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Related Article: Apple Music Classical

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Classical Music app for MacOS?

Apple introduced the Classical app for classical music on iOS; is there the equivalent on MacOS?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.3

Posted on Mar 30, 2023 6:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2024 11:23 PM

2024 and at least please, did someone from the Applepark team open and find out about this massive request from users in some email inbox? Tim !! we deeply need to listen to this incredible music on professional audio equipment connected to a macOS 🙏🏼🥹

31 replies

Aug 28, 2023 10:11 AM in response to dialabrain

This isn't actually helpful. Most classical music fans still don't want to be pounded with "Dance XL" playlists, as soon as they click on "listen now."

There are hugely different metadata and search criteria when searching for classical works. Something which non-classical-specific apps do not provide in a useful way.

Apple have acknowledged the need for this - hence acquiring Primephonic and creating an entirely standalone app - for this exact purpose. So yes, you can "enjoy the tracks, albums and playlists they saved in Apple Music Classical, thanks to the shared music library," but it isn't fit for purpose.

It's that simple. And Apple need to provide the same service for MacOS. Otherwise it's just weird.

Apr 18, 2023 6:46 AM in response to NoHypoMe

'Unfortunate' is the right word.

The search function within the new classical music app actually works well for classical music; finding the right stuff in the Mac OS Music app is difficult.

Apple recognized that classical music deserves its own curation on iOS; why can't it provide the same experience on my desktop?

Anybody listening in Cupertino???

Apr 1, 2023 11:57 AM in response to ChrisTO75

It is unfortunate that Apple Music Classical "AMC" is not available on macOS. My audio system is centered on a Mac using Apple's Music app.

I listen to all types of music, but classical requires time and a good stereo to do it justice. A good set of wired headphones is also good.

I have my Mac connected to a good D/A converter, which then feeds a preamp, amp and on to the speakers. IOS is fine, but not for this type of configuration.

I can imagine listening to great piano sonatas from AMC, all the while getting interrupted by phone calls and text messages.

Sorry, for now, I'll stick with Spotify and Idagio.

Mar 30, 2023 9:02 PM in response to ChrisTO75

ChrisTO75 wrote:

Apple introduced the Classical app for classical music on iOS; is there the equivalent on MacOS?

No.

Apple Music Classical was built exclusively for mobile and is available on iOS with Android coming soon.

Classical fans who want to listen on their MacBook, iPad, or in their car can open Apple Music to enjoy the tracks, albums, and playlists they saved in Apple Music Classical, thanks to the shared music library.

Oct 30, 2023 2:11 PM in response to ChrisTO75

Open Classical Music in Safari. Pick one of the radio stations (e.g. CalmRadio.com Vivaldi) and click its ▶︎ play button. That will pop a dialog at the top of the browser that looks like this:

Click the ▶︎ button on this dialog and it will begin playing as shown above. These are commercial punctuated stations for free and will sound better via quality Bluetooth headphones or earbuds.

Once upon a time, one could drag and drop an associated station .pls file onto the macOS Apple Music app and add it to a playlist for subsequent browser free playing. This is no longer supported on Sonoma 14.1 and may have been dropped earlier. Existing stations that I have added before this restriction continue to play.

Dec 22, 2023 12:40 AM in response to ChrisTO75

Apparently, the answer is “no”.

I came here looking for the answer to that same question. Not because I expected anyone here would have any insight into Apple’s roadmap but because someone here might have information that I wanted.

There are suggestions to source classical music but they’re not even close to having a dedicated app like Apple Music for other genres.

I contact Apple Feedback a lot and have eventually seen favorable results. On occasion it’s exactly the result I wanted. They didn’t do it for me but for all the other data points they’d received. I’ve done this 50 times if I’ve done it once for an Apple Music Classical app when they released Apple Music. No matter how many times I contact them my all my data points are the same data point. It’s a reminder and for all I know it’s binned when the subject is read. Persistence may pay off.

So anybody wanting a Classical version, please let Apple know at AF.

Feb 15, 2024 5:55 AM in response to NoHypoMe

NoHypoMe wrote:

It is unfortunate that Apple Music Classical "AMC" is not available on macOS. My audio system is centered on a Mac using Apple's Music app.
I have my Mac connected to a good D/A converter, which then feeds a preamp, amp and on to the speakers. IOS is fine, but not for this type of configuration.

I have the same setup. Macs with iTunes either via direct amp connection or via wired Ethernet to Airport Express base stations using the optical connector to Amps/speakers. The direct connection combined with the large screen on the Mac for browsing classical albums, playlists, etc, combined with several other reasons result in everyone in our household having zero interest in using an iPhone to play classical music at home.

I really don't understand Apple having the insight needed to buy a classical streaming service to incorporate a properly laid out classical music service into Apple Music, and then not having the insight to realise a large portion of the customer base will want this on computer with a large screen, wired directly to DACs, amps, etc.

Classical Music app for MacOS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.