Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos Library

I accidentally deleted my Photos Library out of my Pictures Folder. Then because I didn't KNOW I did it - I emptied my trash too. No Time Machine backup either. <Facepalm>

It seems that my iCloud has done the trick though- and my photos are intact, but my PHOTOS app and Pictures Folder on my MACBook is really hosed up now.

Firstly; PHOTOS for my Ipad and the MAC don't Sync, (thankfully- I might lose what's there!)but the Ipad and the Cloud both have the correct photos- as if the deletion never happened. But the MAC, well..I can't attach any photos to anything without dragging them onto my desktop first- and basically the app is not behaving like it should. There are numerous duplicates, .jpegs that are now .png and .HEIC...etc and it's quite a mess.

Wondering if there is a way without going to each photo (over 5000)- to name/delete/File? I've bought a few different "photo duplicate finders" and "Photo Cleaners" but they are all programmed to go to the Pictures folder, which is now hosed up.

I know- I'm a dork...But I really have tried to fix it.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Thanks for any input.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Mar 30, 2023 7:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2023 3:27 AM

If your photos are still in iCloud Photos, and the library is looking well on your iPad and in iCloud, you can recreate the Photos Library on your Mac by downloading a fresh copy from iCloud.

I suggest to try the following:

• On your Mac launch Photos, while holding down the options key ⌥.
  • Keep holding down the ⌥ key until the dialog to select a library appears. Then select to create a new library.
  • When the empty, new library opens in Photos, open the Photos > Settings > General and click on "Use as System Photos Library".
  • Then click the iCloud tab in Settings and enable "iCloud Photos"

Now wait for your photos to download from iCloud to your mac. This should work, if your Photos are already in iCloud. The only thing you cannot get back from iCloud Photos are your projects (Photo books, Slideshows), as they are not syncing with iCloud.

Once Photos is working again on your new Photos Library, you can try to to clean up the mess in the Pictures folder. But do not use duplicate finders on your Photos Library, unless you are sure, it is a safe app, that does not damage a Photos Library. Some Duplicate Finders are dangerous and can damage your Photos Library. This can cause Photos to act strangely or unreliably.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2023 3:27 AM in response to RBlue

If your photos are still in iCloud Photos, and the library is looking well on your iPad and in iCloud, you can recreate the Photos Library on your Mac by downloading a fresh copy from iCloud.

I suggest to try the following:

• On your Mac launch Photos, while holding down the options key ⌥.
  • Keep holding down the ⌥ key until the dialog to select a library appears. Then select to create a new library.
  • When the empty, new library opens in Photos, open the Photos > Settings > General and click on "Use as System Photos Library".
  • Then click the iCloud tab in Settings and enable "iCloud Photos"

Now wait for your photos to download from iCloud to your mac. This should work, if your Photos are already in iCloud. The only thing you cannot get back from iCloud Photos are your projects (Photo books, Slideshows), as they are not syncing with iCloud.

Once Photos is working again on your new Photos Library, you can try to to clean up the mess in the Pictures folder. But do not use duplicate finders on your Photos Library, unless you are sure, it is a safe app, that does not damage a Photos Library. Some Duplicate Finders are dangerous and can damage your Photos Library. This can cause Photos to act strangely or unreliably.

Apr 2, 2023 6:15 PM in response to RBlue

Photos can open only one library at a time, but it should not delete a Photos Library, when you create a new library. If it looks like you lost the older library, Photos may not be able to access it, if the library is in an unsupported location (in a shared folder, on a NAS, on a volume used for Time Machine backups, in a Drop Box, on a volume with an unsupported file system format). In that case it might help to move your old library to a supported location, where Photos can use it safely (Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support)

Apr 2, 2023 4:59 PM in response to léonie

I think this did the trick...It's uploading from the Cloud now. The only thing I didn't expect was to lose the other photo library as soon as I clicked on the Options/Photos key. No going back then. It's ok though- I think I will manage with no issue.

Thank you so much for this! I thought I was DOOMED!

Photos Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.