Screen Flickering, black and purple screen with Ventura 13.3

Hi, I updated to Ventura 13.3 Last night and immediately started getting graphical type issues on my m2 max 32gb MacBook Pro 16, I have taken some videos that I can upload later. This happened immediately after the update and seems to be getting worse.

My main problem now is that I have just started a year long journey around the world so I can't go to an Apple Store in my region and determine if it is hardware or software related, obviously It would be software related but it could also be coincidence.

All sorts of weird things are happening, purple menu bar, complete black screen, stage manager icons disappear.

Posted on Mar 30, 2023 10:46 PM

12 replies

Apr 3, 2023 5:19 PM in response to AgedVagabond

Hi AgedVagabond,

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities. We understand you're having issues with your MacBook Pro display. This article has some steps that may help: If your Mac display doesn’t look right.

"If the image on your Mac display doesn’t look right, try one or more of these suggestions.

• If the display is black or dim: Try adjusting your display’s brightness.

• If images are too large or too small: Try adjusting your display’s resolution.
  • If the colors don’t look right: Try using the display profile designed for your display. For example, if you’re using a Thunderbolt display, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click Displays  in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.) Click the pop-up menu next to “Color profile” on the right, then choose Thunderbolt Display. If that doesn’t work, try calibrating the display.
  • If your display is blurry: Make sure your Mac has detected that display. Choose Apple menu > System Settings, then click Displays.
  • To see the Detect Displays button, press the Option key. Then click the button to detect the display.
  • If the display is flickering: Make sure your Mac and display are connected to one another with good quality cables and adapters. You may also be experiencing interference from a nearby power line, a fluorescent light, a radio, a microwave oven, another computer, or another electrical device. Try relocating nearby electrical devices, or moving your Mac and display.
  • If you see bright or dark spots on a flat-panel or Mac laptop screen: Your display may have pixel anomalies. If you suspect your Apple display contains a high number of anomalies, contact Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider for service. Repairs performed by untrained individuals or using non-genuine Apple parts may affect the safety and functionality of the device. 
  • If none of these solutions work: If you have an Apple display and can’t correct the problem, contact Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider for service. Repairs performed by untrained individuals or using non-genuine Apple parts may affect the safety and functionality of the device."

It does look and sound like the issue could be hardware related. You may consider running Apple Diagnostics. Here's how if needed: Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac.

If the issue persists, Contact Apple Support to have a technician properly evaluate the issue.

Take care.

Apr 4, 2023 12:46 AM in response to Jeff_888

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

I reinstalled Ventura 13.3 and I still have the issue, It only occurs when stage manager is enabled and will actually stop the second stage manager is disabled.

It is quiet bad, flashing purple and sometimes black screen, sometimes the 'Window application UI' will disappear from around windows.

I will probably go to the Apple Store when I get to Dubai but I am not sure they will do much for me because I bought my laptop in Australia, we will see :)

Apr 5, 2023 6:11 AM in response to AgedVagabond

Hello There, I'm facing this issue too with my M2 PRO MP PRO 14" ... First I noticed it when I opened Apple TV with stage manager on. however when i close ether one or both of them the bug just disappears. I'm still confused if it's screen or software issue also I don't have any nearby apple store unless I take a 3 hours flight. Please keep me updated if you like.

conact me via twitter @iAhm_d

May 4, 2023 12:26 AM in response to ivo103

Stage Manager is definitely the link here.

I get flickering, only on the the launch bar icons at the bottom of the screen (not the whole screen) when moving left and right and ONLY if there are more than 7 or 8 windows pinned in Stage Manager.

Very strange..

Short Term tip, reduce the number of open windows until a patch is released, It is super annoying the flickering so worth it for me..

M2 MBP, Ventura 13.3

May 4, 2023 1:22 AM in response to mrsatchie

Hi, Mine is purple flickering on the menu bar as shown and sometimes it was full screen blackout, It is definitely stage manager related, it is not as bad after the last update but will still happen if I am using Apple TV or a few other apps (I can't remember now which ones but pretty much annything that uses a video in the preview window besides Movist) I now only use stage manager when I am using only the apps I know what create problems.

May 13, 2023 6:13 AM in response to AgedVagabond

Same issue here. I have a new MBP 16" running 13.3.1 also. I notice it only occurs with Stage Manger only when Apple TV is open and in Stage Manager. The flickering only starts when I open Apple TV and place it in Stage Manger and stops when I close Apple TV. It does not happen with any other app, including other video playing in Safari. I have yet to contact Apple Support. Any word?

Screen Flickering, black and purple screen with Ventura 13.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.