Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can my Apple ID be used by cyber criminals to purchase things online ?

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on Mar 30, 2023 11:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2023 6:27 AM

That shouldn’t be possible. In theory, If someone had access to your icloud ID and password and the trusted device required for 2 factor authentication for your account, they could set up your icloud account on a device they had in their possession, but that’s unlikely… Of course if you’re sharing an icloud account with someone, they don’t have to compromise your account, you gave it to them willingly.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2023 6:27 AM in response to ngiap

That shouldn’t be possible. In theory, If someone had access to your icloud ID and password and the trusted device required for 2 factor authentication for your account, they could set up your icloud account on a device they had in their possession, but that’s unlikely… Of course if you’re sharing an icloud account with someone, they don’t have to compromise your account, you gave it to them willingly.

Mar 31, 2023 6:11 AM in response to ngiap

My actual Question is “ can my iPhone Apple Pay be scammed and use for online purchase without my knowing ?”. In short I am a victim of online fraudulent trade which I never did. But the bank claims that it was from my Apple Pay and my id ?? I am totally unaware about it until I was billed . Pls help .

Mar 31, 2023 7:17 PM in response to KiltedTim

Yes in theory it is not possible to create my Apple Pay environment on another Apple Device. In reality I was hit by one cybercriminal who could have made Apple Pay transaction NOT on my iPhone and transacted a purchase billed to my credit card. I let Apple Care expert to drill into my iPhone for transaction records, the Apple Care consultant couldn’t find any of the transaction activities related to the purchase which I didn’t make via my Apple Pay. There was no 2FA taken place on my iPhone for the said unauthorised Apple Pay transaction. The bank recorded one bill payment of $1000 made in Dubai, by using my Apple Pay. I am based in S’pore and I never ever visited Dubai before. That’s my unfortunate case.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.