Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to transferr apple itunes from an imac to a macbook pro

I recently purchased a macbook pro to replace my old iMac. How do I transfer my itunes music from the iMac to the Macbook Pro?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Apr 1, 2023 1:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2023 2:25 PM

If your iTunes library is consolidated in a single location, you can simply drag and drop the iTunes folder located inside the Music folder in your user profile to a USB stick or external drive, and then repeat the process when connected to the new Mac.

Once the copy process is completed, you can then hold the option key while opening the Music App on the new Mac, and point it to the iTunesLibrary.itl file in the folder you just copied

click here ➜ Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community

If your music is not in the Media folder of the above location, you will need to consolidate your library first.

click here ➜ Make a split library portable - Apple Community

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2023 2:25 PM in response to donaldfromdothan

If your iTunes library is consolidated in a single location, you can simply drag and drop the iTunes folder located inside the Music folder in your user profile to a USB stick or external drive, and then repeat the process when connected to the new Mac.

Once the copy process is completed, you can then hold the option key while opening the Music App on the new Mac, and point it to the iTunesLibrary.itl file in the folder you just copied

click here ➜ Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community

If your music is not in the Media folder of the above location, you will need to consolidate your library first.

click here ➜ Make a split library portable - Apple Community

Apr 1, 2023 5:19 PM in response to Phil0124

Phil0124, Thanks for your assistance. I had read a variety of explanations to accomplish this transfer but none had provided clearcut instructions.

I had to make a couple of attempts to get it exactly right but thanks to your help I finally got my entire library, including playlists transferred successfully.

thanks so much for your help.

how to transferr apple itunes from an imac to a macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.